Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moddy007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Hey guys, this is my first thread and I am totally new to the MacBook Pro which I plan on buying next week. I need suggestions as to what should I look for or ask the apple folks once I enter the store, in order to get the correct machine. I want the Samsung Retina. Will also be installing windows 7.

1) What I mean to say is, is there any thing in particular that I must be aware of before buying the MacBook Pro?

2) Are there any known issues?

3) Do I need to see any serial number or something on the box?

4) I will be using windows 7 primarily and need to know about driver installation for all the components and compatibility issues if any.

5) Dos and donts.

6) Any other recommendations are welcome.

marsmissions

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Washington, US
Boot camp is pretty straight forward. Drivers are provided on a disk in the box usually, but this may have changed since 2008.

Give OS X a try before you start using windows 7 as your daily driver, you might be surprised. It's quite a learning curve, but it's so amazing once you get used to it.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
Biggest don't: Don't use it for Windows primarily.
Gosh man, you got an Apple product so that you can use it as a PC?
Throw it out the window now and get yourself a normal notebook!

marsmissions

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Washington, US
Biggest don't: Don't use it for Windows primarily.
Gosh man, you got an Apple product so that you can use it as a PC?
Throw it out the window now and get yourself a normal notebook!

Why? MacBook pros offer a build quality and standard of beauty that pc Manufacturers are trying to copy and aren't getting right.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
Why? MacBook pros offer a build quality and standard of beauty that pc Manufacturers are trying to copy and aren't getting right.

Just because it has a better build quality, it doesn't really justify the price if you're planning on using mainly Windows on it ( other non-aluminium notebooks don't fall apart either you know... right, it's plastic, but let's not exaggerate with the build quality subject ). Don't get me wrong, I've been using Windows since 92-93" until early this year and I've worked on both notebooks and desktops... Windows is fine, but you can get a decent PC ( notebook ) for less, that will for sure get the job done ( wild guess here... but I doubt I'm far from the truth ). Not talking about a SAME-SPECED PC for less, but a "decent PC for less that gets the job done".

... it's his money, his decision. To me, it seems like a total waste... if he is really, really not planning on giving OSX a shot, then I'd just sell the MBP and get something else. But that's just me...

Last edited:

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Why do you need to use Windows?

Have you considered simply virtualizing it alongside OSX? I do it almost daily for a few Windows-only applications and it works flawlessly.

If you're strictly going to use Windows, take that $2000+ and get a sweet PC that will dominate in hardware specs (or pay less for equivalent hardware). That's what I would do at least.

The only reason I pay the (large, in my opinion) premium for Macs is because of OSX. The trackpads are nice too though.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
I agree with the above ... if you are going to be primarily using windows ... get a PC laptop.

Most people use a Mac for the OS

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
The OP came here looking for info, not to be told he should not get a Mac
Book.

If no one who has a Mac runs Windows then why is there Bootcamp, Parallels etc. Actually many people use Apple machines to run Windows simply because it works so well on them.

My Brother-in-law bought a Apple Computer simply to run his business software which is Microsoft-based. Take a look through the threads on this forum and see how many deals simply with running Microsoft programs on the Mac computers.

I personally don't run Windows on my machine, and therefore can't really help the OP, but I hope others who can will.

To the O P.
I do not understand your question #3.

As far as do's and don'ts I don't know of any real don'ts; as far as do's, I would say do plug it in and have fun. It will amaze you how easy it is to use. One nice thing it will not come with a bunch of software that has to be removed. Apple doesn't do that.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
(1) Make sure bank account has sufficient fund. :D

(2) Retine YES, please read all post on forum about retina.

(3) The machine S/N is engraved on. During the registration process, Apple will ask you for this information. You MUST have Internet access.

(4) Will let others answer your Windows question.

(5) Do read-read-read-read-read.

(6) If the MBP are like the AIR, the dang thing comes with NO CD, everything is done online. Be sure broadband bill paid up. ;)

moddy007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
LOL, no argument on what ever you guys said. It was stupid of me to assume that I would be using it only for windows. For games though the only option is windows and that's where the boot camp comes in. People tell me that once I use a MBP (OSX), will never go back to Windows. And that could be it.
But here is the thing.

These days, laptop configs are just not that appealing. I want something which has the best of both worlds i,e Good battery backup and good performance. I crave for such a machine and the only one that I can find is the MBP. I have seen brands like Dell, Lenovo , Sony, Samsung etc.
Some have a powerful CPU, ram and graphics but feature a pathetic display, some have both but lack an SSD which I absolutely need. It's like there is always a compromise.

I have an Alienware M17X which literally bangs every game I throw at it.
The weight of this thing is just too much for me to carry it around.

I want a notebook which has killer looks, excellent built, an amazing screen,good battery backup, fast SSD and quad core CPU.

So, The MBP is exactly what gets my attention.

foodle

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I want the Samsung Retina.

It is highly unlikely that you will be able to tell from the outside box whether the rMBP uses an LG or Samsung display. You can check once you open the box and power on the machine, but at that point you own the machine. You could then return it on the spot if you really want to do that.

moddy007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
By they way i keep seing these numbers in various threads (2.6/16/256).

What does it indicate? Is it something to do with the new batch of rMBP?

moddy007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks guys. Since i dont know jack about NBP and OSX, i will be needing your help in future. God bless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.