New to MBP... Questions on the hardware, etc...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iVikD, Sep 13, 2011.

1. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

Hi, I just switched to a 2011 15" MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz, 8GB of Ram from a 5+ year old HP (quite the leap)
    Needless to say, I'm in love with it after just a couple of weeks xD
    So far it does everything I tell it to without problem, be it photo/video editing (Final Cut) or gaming.
    My question is regarding the Overclocking. I seem to recall reading somewhere that it can OC at 3.1 GHz, is this true? And if it is, when does it kick in? I think I don't know as much about Overclocking as I'd like, but when it comes to my computer, I'm crazy about the numbers xD So, if anyone could enlighten me, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, my RAM runs at 1066 MHz, would there be a big difference if I switched to 1333 MHz? And if so, which brand would you recommend?
    Thank you :]

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

It's called turbo boost, whereas a single core process will essentially shut down unused cores and boost it's own clock speed for a brief amount of time, it is automatic and is only done when needed.

You'd see no noticeable difference between both RAM speeds.

3. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

If you exert your MBP, it will get hot.... very hot.

4. iVikD thread starter macrumors regular

iVikD

I've become quite aware of that xD Scalding... But I make sure to have a fan aimed in the direction of the MBP when I'm doing long-term processing.
    On another note (don't wanna make a new topic) what would be the best way to install Windows 7? I was thinking Parallels, but since I don't live in the States, It's pretty hard for me to find it (through legal means.) As for BootCamp, I don't quite like it, but I could use it as a last resource. Is there a way to install Win7 on another HDD (external, or connected with a SATA-USB adapter, whatever works) and boot from there?

5. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I use Parallels and I live in the UK :)

I am not a fan of Bootcamp, I need to have both Mac and Windows running simultaneously.

I am not sure about installing it on a separate drive and booting from it. Also, when the fans are running high, be sure to keep the MBP away from your lap.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Do you need all the computer's resources when booted into windows or not? That'll tell you if bootcamp is right you.

7. iVikD thread starter macrumors regular

iVikD

I haven't quite made up my mind yet... I want it mostly as a commodity and a 'just in case' tool, but I might also want to use it for gaming. It would be wonderful if I could boot it from an external drive and still use all the resources... How possible does that sound?

----------

I'm staying in Venezuela for a couple of years... There are no Apple retail stores here, and I have yet to see an electronics store to have Parallels in stock... otherwise I would buy it. And due to a certain political situation, I can't easily get dollars and buy it online...
    And yes, I put it on a glass table or other cool surface when it gets warm :p