New to MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexboy45, Oct 31, 2008.

1. alexboy45 macrumors regular

I am ordering a nice and shiny 15" MBP today. i am no longer a pc. i will be using this as a work laptop and unfortunatly having to go bootcamp with windows XP as some software we use will not work on a mac os. my question is what is the best way to learn the OS. i am getting this as my boss has decided he wanted an iMac and has problems with it that i have no idea on how to fix. can anyone give me some advice..

thanks

2. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Welcome to the world of Mac. :)

The way I learned OS X was to just play around and learn as you go along. What problems is your boss having?

3. alexboy45 thread starter macrumors regular

just silly little things that if it was happening on windows i t would bee a case off oh just do this. i can usuly sort the problem out but i have to have the mac infront of me. it was his idea to buy one. also with regards to apple care how long after purchacing the mac can you register it

4. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

same here....i learned os x by using it and reading this forum. it is very simple once you learn the basics.

5. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Just have a play.

If you want some inspiration, search for video tutorials on YouTube, they can be pretty good.

Or, get a book like this one, I found it quite helpful when i first switched.

6. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

your applecare answer

just register applecare before the 1 year mark. i would do it sooner so you dont forget.

7. wheelhot macrumors 68000

Well, do like some other says, which is go to youtube.

I suggest Google or even Lynda.com (maybe that's overkill just to learn OS X but there is a lot of other things there that will benefit you and maybe your boss).

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congratulations on your splendid new MBP and welcome to the world of Mac. May you and your computer both live long and prosper together. You'll really enjoy the MBP, I'm very happy with mine.

Re keyboards, and different ways of doing things, I switched earlier this year (also to a MBP) and love it. A lot of it can be learned by just using the computer, and also feel free to ask questions from people on fora such as MR. I found a file called MacSwitcherTips which I placed on my desktop for handy reference. (I don't have it to hand just now, as I'm back to the world of Windows - not by choice - in the Caucasus).

The important thing to remember is that most of the commands on a Windows keyboard have an equivalent in the Mac world; they may not be identical. You can get the equivalent function of the right click by combining Function and Command keys on the Mac (Command might have a picture of the Apple logo on it) and so on. Just ask if you are not certain.

Cheers and good luck