New to me Core Solo

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by FastDustin, Apr 21, 2013.

1. FastDustin macrumors newbie

Just recently acquired a used Mac mini core solo. I plan to use it to stream Netflix and hold my music. So I ordered a 500gb Hard Drive, 2gb ram, and an intel sl9 t7600 processor, along with a snow leopard disc. My question is once I install everything can I just insert the new os disc and boot and install from the disc or do I need to clone the old hard drive to upgrade the os? Anything else I need to change in the mini to make all my upgrades work?
    Thanks in advance

2. Colchiro macrumors member

Out of curiosity, assuming your Mini still boots after the surgery, how much will you have invested?:D

3. FastDustin thread starter macrumors newbie

Free mini
    $50 Hard Drive
    $20 Leopard
    $65 sl9 T7600
    $22 Ram
    Total- $157.00
    Core Solo on ebay is about this price so I figured for what I would use it for its worth the investment.

4. Colchiro macrumors member

I initially assumed you had purchased your mini and would end up close to the same cost as a newer one, but not as fast due to the older cpu and slower buss speeds.

Now I'm wondering how you'd come out if you sold it and purchased a newer (core2duo) Mini.

5. FastDustin thread starter macrumors newbie

Update
    So i received some new stuff for the mini and decided to boot it up for the first time. So i hooked up the power and dvi cable that i just bought and to my surprise my mini already has 2gb ram in it so i guess i can return the other 2 sticks. So now knowing it boots up ok i shut it down and opened it up for some surgery. I used a can of condensed air and blew alot of dust out, took out some screws and had to undo a few connectors and my mini now has a 500gb HD. Snapped it back together and inserted Snow Leopard and it installed in about a half hour. The only thing i noticed that seemed wrong with the mini is that the wifi antenna may be bad, only feet from the router and only 2 bars. suggestions? Also during the os install the cd drive was really noisy

6. lucamacis macrumors member

Interesting you are having that problem with the Mac Mini. I had a similar problem when I opened up mine and wasnt able to fix it. It would say I have signal (very small) but my internet connection would slowly die. I fixed it just by plugging it directly through ethernet. Bought a 10m cable for £5 of Amazon.

7. FastDustin thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i ended up hooking it up via ethernet, there some file that Im suppose to delete once upgrading the cpu. System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist

My problem is that if i go into system-library-core services thats is as far as i can go, cant find a Platform support file ?

8. FastDustin thread starter macrumors newbie