New to me G4, a few issues...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jon.mciver, Feb 4, 2008.

1. jon.mciver macrumors newbie

My nephew gave me what I think is a G4 Power PC. I say "I think" because the case looks right, but when I open up System Profiler, it makes me wonder.
    Here's the text:
    Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Power Mac G3 (PCI graphics)
    Machine Model: PowerMac1,2
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.6)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 350 MHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
    Memory: 640 MB
    Bus Speed: 100 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 1.1.2f2

First issue: Is it a G3 or G4? The case looks like a G4.

Second issue: I've read a few of the threads about upgrading vs. a new mac mini, etc. However, I'm pretty excited to just be back in the mac world again. Some RAM and a new processor would speed it up a bit, and we would get a couple of years of use out of it. Comments?

Thanks in advance!

Jon

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I suspect it's a G4. When you go the the menubar > apple > about this mac, what does it say there?

Some RAM will help with speed issues, but not that much on longevity. That's an old processor. Upgrading may be possible, but it's a cost vs. benefit situation. That might get you more use, but until you determine what the parts will cost, and how much you're willing to spend... I don't know the full range of upgrades and DIY projects for those models -- they're from, what, 1999 or 2000? Finding parts may be hard at this point.

You may be better off with a Mini.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

This might be the "Yikes" G4 since it is 350mhz and PCI graphics. As I recall this one uses the same board as the G3 Blue and White so that may be why it says "Power Mac G3 (PCI graphics)". Anyways that Powermac will require a ZIF style CPU Accelerator these are more expensive and less common than the ones for other G4 computers.

You could upgrade to G3 1Ghz for $125 http://eshop.macsales.com/item/PowerLogix/PFZGX10001M/. The G4 cards are way more expensive than they are worth since you could by a similar speed fully functional G4 Tower for around the same price on eBay. $300 for 1GHz G4.

So if you are looking to max out the CPU and RAM I would suggest getting a beefed up 2002 Quicksilver or most any Mirror Drive Door G4.

4. jon.mciver thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is the Yikes version. I'm a little disappointed, because I thought this was really a G4.

Thanks for your help.