New to me Mac Pro on it's way

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fandsw, Dec 3, 2007.

1. fandsw macrumors regular

Hey gang,

long-time lurker and now convert, as I've got my first Mac on it's way, a used Mac Pro whose price was good enough to make me pull the trigger even with a new MP due to come out from Apple shortly.

Anywho, this MP has Tiger installed on it, and I plan on buying after Leopard immediately so that I can take advantage of the new features Leopard offers. I plan on verifying that everything works in Tiger to start, then upgrade to Leopard. What is the best way to do a clean install of Leopard on this Mac Pro so that any previous user's info/settings/configs/data is all gone? Any sites/links that y'all could recommend to help me thru this process?

Thanks in advance!

Frank

2. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Leopard will come with it as a drop in upgrade. You can also do a clean install with the disc. When you boot from the CD, go to utilities at the top and run disk utility.. format the drive.. close the utility then install the OS :)

3. fandsw thread starter macrumors regular

It's a used purchase from an individual, so I'll be forced to by a retail copy of Leopard.

4. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

5. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

The best way to start from fresh is to start from the Leopard system DVD and select Disk Utility and reformat the HD before installing Leopard. WARNING, this will erase EVERYTHING on the HD. If you don't want to erase the HD, you can select an Archive and Install and select the option to not save user and network settings.