Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kappa So Sick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
I purchased a newer white Macbook from a friend who just upgraded to the Aluminum unibody Macbook and he didn't have any of the original disks so this is where I your help!

I just bought Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard retail so that I could format the hard drive and do a fresh install. I have read multiple forums on how to do this, but when I stick in the OS X dvd, it loads into the installer and tells me that it cannot be installed on this Macbook and to refer to the "read me installation instructions." I know that this system meets all of the OS X 10.5 specs (newer white Macbook with 2.2Ghz duo core 2, 1 GB ram, intel graphics card and obviously the hard drive space isn't an issue) so could someone please tell me why I am experiencing problems.

The Macbook is the Late 2007 model which was introduced in November 2007. It says on Apple's page that the OS X version shipped with the Macbook was 10.5 (not 10.5.2 or anything) and the Retail version of OS X reads V 10.5 so why is it not working if the versions are the same? I bought the retail dvd from Best Buy so I'm afraid all of the versions there are the same (10.5)

This is the website I am basing this information off of: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159?viewlocale=en_US

I am new to the Apple community after switching from all Dell's and I'm already frustrated that I am encountering problems with something as simple as installing a retail copy of OS X on a perfectly capable computer. Any suggestions of help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance :)

agurlnamedgoo

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
This is my suggestion to everything: get on the phone with apple. 1-800-682-7753 (1-800-MYAPPLE)
When I ordered my new OS a few years ago, the first thing I did, before even opening the box, was call apple and say "I'm doing something frightening, please help me not mess it up." and the woman led me through, step by step, as I upgraded my OS.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
I would assume your friend had an operating system installed on it when you got it. Was it Leopard or Tiger? I would also try using either DiskWarrior or Drive Genius 2 to de-frag your directory and make sure every file is in the right place.

Kappa So Sick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
Yes I used disk utility through the Mac OS X 10.5 retail install DVD and formatted the drive to Mac OS X Journaled for intel Macbooks and wrote zeros to the drive but after a restart, I am still getting the same message that it can't be installed on the Macbook. My friend did have Leopard installed but after using disk utility, it completely wiped the drive. The Macbook is the late 2007 White model with 2.2 Duo Core 2, 1 GB Ram, the intel gpu, and the hard drive has ample space and is SMART verified. This is my first Macbook after coming from all PC's and it is kind of frustrating that a simple OS X install can be so complicated.

My friend and I are both college students and he has his restore disks at home (he thinks) but wont be going home for about another 3 weeks, ughh.

Does anybody have any experience with the issue I am experiencing or advice for me?

Thanks!

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
but when I stick in the OS X dvd, it loads into the installer and tells me that it cannot be installed on this Macbook and to refer to the "read me installation instructions."

And did you read the installation instructions? What did they suggest? Did you try the Erase and Install method?

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
That seems quite weird to me. Are you sure it's a retail disc? It almost sounds like you have a disc for an imac or something. The black discs are retail. Other than that, it doesn't make any sense.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
There's a reason why it isn't working. Your computer's model shipped at first with 10.5 as it came out a few weeks after the OS did. This means that your retail disc won't have the necessary drivers on it for the computer. A retail disk is meant for upgrading computers that came out before the new version of Mac OS. If you're trying to restore to the first version of the OS that shipped on the computer, you'll have to use the restoration disks that came in the box.

Regardless of anything that you may try, there's simply no way to install any OS without the restore disks at this point. The computer's drivers are not on the retail disk. Since you've already formatted the drive, you won't be able to use it. You should still be within your return window (especially with it extended this time of year), so return the copy of Leopard; it's licensed on the computer, anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.