New to MPs, and need buying advice/confirmation...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Killerbob, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I am totally new to Apple, but have been building high-end PCs myself the last 15 years. It has taken me a while to be ready to convert, but the arrival of the latest MPs has totally convinced me :apple:

I am thinking of buying from the local Apple store;
    MP 2x2.8GHz 8-Core, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, NVidia 8800GT (upg), 2xSuperdrives (upg), Airport Extreme Card (upg), and 1 ACD 30", or 2 23"s. Also, 1 Time Capsule 1TB.

... and then buying a few updates elsewhere; 8GB RAM kit, 2x750GB SG 7200.11, and LogiTech Z5500 Speakers.

My questions (of course I have more, but this is just get me off the ground):

- Should I install the 8GB kit AND the original 2GB RAM, or is the original 2GB a loss?

- Is a total of 8GB RAM enough - I will run OSX, Adobe applications for lots of picture manipulation, and some video editing/encoding, WHILE running Parallels, or Fusion, with Vista Ult. (2GB RAM dedicated)?

- Should I get the single 30" ACD, or 2 23"s? I also play a lot of games, so I am leaning towards the single 30", but I would actually get more desktop with 2x23"s.

- Can I connect the Z5500 via the optical connection, and will the MP then recognise the 5.1 speaker system?

- What is the transfer rate I can expect between a Time Capsule and the WiFi Card in the MP? They are both 802.11n, but will be some 5 meters apart.

- Will I be able to use the Time Capsule for Time Machine before the update to 10.5.2?

- I would set up the HDs with the 2xSG 7200.11s in Raid0 for OS, Applications, and Data (three partitions), and use the std. 320GB HD as a scratch drive. Any comments?

Thanks in advance for helping me make the right decisions :confused:

2. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

Just a comment on why you haven't gotten much response - there have been numerous long threads devoted to the RAM question, so take a look at those (or use the search function). People probably don't want to rehash the issue again here.

Quick thoughts - use the extra 2GB to end up with 10 GB.
    ACD's are due for a renewal and many expect new monitors soon - see the "Buyer's Guide" tab at the top of the page.
    10.5.2 is due out within the next week or two, so the Time Capsule question isn't too pressing.
    Many threads on setting up HD's to explore.

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

My personal preference is one 30" monitor. However, depending on the games you want to play you might get better performance with the 23s due to the resolution?

But yeah, I went from a dual monitor setup to one 30" ACD and I'd much rather just have the one, massive, work area :D

4. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Personally, I would go for the 8GB Kit (4 x 2GB) and keep the 2GB original in as well. Also, I wouldn't recommend selling the Original Ram because if you need to send the MacPro back for repair at any time, you will need to put it back to it's original configuration.

I would say 8GB/10GB would be enough. Unless you've been using a 64bit version of windows, you will have been limited to 3.2GB Ram on Windows anyway, so you'll really notice the difference.

My personal preference (mainly due to the price) is 2 x 23" monitors. However, if you play alot of games, I don't think the games will span over the 2 monitors, so if you want a lot of gameplay area, you'll need the 30".

No idea on this one, but I assume this is correct.

You will get somewhere near the full speed of 802.11n with that distance, as 802.11n is designed to have a longer range, and 5 meters is quite close.

Chances are 10.5.2 will be released before Time Capsule is available, and as far as I know, the Time Capsule will work with the current version of Leapard.

Sounds like a plan to me...Similar to what I was thinking. Some people comment on this set up not being reliable and the possibility of RAID0 damaging drives, etc, but as long as you back up using Time Machine, you'll be fine.

5. flyingscott macrumors regular

flyingscott

All of your questions can be answered by asking yourself - What do I intend to do with this machine?

Don't bother going to the Apple store, they are just going to order one online with the options you stated.

Why time capsule? (assuming this is why you want airport card as well)... this is a deskside... Run a cable...

Why raid?

Just get a 6GB RAM kit so you don't have to toss the other 2GB it comes with.

Again, think about what you want to do and then lurk some more in the forums.

I'm not trying to be a dick, its just your questions are... too many, too general and already discussed in length.