New to OpenSSH...general question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jbarresi19, Aug 4, 2010.

1. jbarresi19 macrumors 6502

ok so my phone is jailbroken and i used to have my 3G jailbroken but at that time i was not part of this forum and didnt know much. I must say I have learned alot from reading different posts.

So i decided to try out SSH'ing my phone, not sure why but everyone was talking about it so i tried and and it was fairly easy. I changed the password in mobile terminal which seemed pretty important to do, not sure exactly why if someone can explain, but i did change it.

My main question is.....so there are some things i have installed on my phone and have taken off at some point since jailbreaking. When I SSH my phone i see files of these programs or apps i have uninstalled. Is that normal and if so can i earse them? Or is it better off the just leave it there?

Thanks in advance

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'd suggest letting them be. They could still be in use or you could get rid of something important.

A question on changing your password: Did you change the root password and/or the mobile password?

3. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

The leftover files are usually small and harmless, but it is a bit annoying that they are left over. I would be very careful as to which ones you delete as another program might have a dependence on them

4. jbarresi19 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, yeah i figured it was safer to just leave them be....as far as the password i changed 2 so i assume it was both of those.....

5. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

The importance of changing your root/mobile passwords is this:

You're at a starbucks (or anywhere with wifi) and your iphone is connected to the wifi. Someone who's also connected to the wifi uses the default passwords (which many people haven't changed yet) to access the complete file system of your iphone. At this point they could upload/change whatever they want and reek havoc with the phone if they wanted to.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If I find a iPhone with default passwords I: change both passwords, change the wallpaper to a picture with text describing what happened and what could have happened and how to change it back. Included on the wallpaper picture are the new passwords. I love to do this. Airports are some of the best places to search as there are always lots of people.

7. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

Well, here's another good question. What else can openSSH do on your phone?

8. tesilential macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat as you, only I never had an iphone til now. In most posts, people will link an image or sound file, and assume you know how to get into the phone's SSH or file directory or whatever and change it.

I've spent 2 days doing minor changes here and there, but at least I have a couple app icons updated.

ANYWAYS, I'm posting because I had LockInfo (trial only) for a couple days, then I deleted it yesterday. Today I reinstalled and it already had my settings in place, (hide empty sections, hide Lock Slider, hide lock Clock, etc).

So i think those tiny files may hold the settings for that app....