New to OS 9!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kingcrowing, Feb 1, 2008.

1. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

Hey, I just got an iBook G3 and it's got OS 9 on it right now but it has no internet program and I'm a little stumped on how to install it as I've never used OS 9 much before. In OS X its .dmg files to install programs, but what is it for OS 9? It looks like Opera is the best browser for OS 9 so that's probably what I'd want to get and I think version 7 was the last one so if anyone could help me out that'd be great! I found some .sit apps but I can't get those to install without stuffit and I downloaded stuffit and only found it for os 9 as a .sit or as a .hqx and that dosen't seem to work either!
    Help!

2. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

The OS should come with Netscape Navigator 4.7 (I think) and Internet Explorer 5. Stuffit used to be bundled as well (try a search?). If these aren't there then it sounds like a custom install was done.

Neither of these give you a very accurate impression of what the internet looks like in 2008.

You may be able to find Netscape 6, which has a better rendering engine, but is incredibly slow (GUI stuff). Goodness knows what it was written in!

Opera is a good bet, as is iCab. This is OS X only now (uses WebKit), but their are old version available to download (as a .sit file).

Apps on OS 9 were distributed using a mixture of compression techniques. Most of them have installers as well.

3. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

Well theres no netscape and and no IE lol it was from a school I guess and everything was taken off, but how do I install a .sit file?? It says theres no program associated with it when I try and open it in OS 9

4. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

You need Stuffit Expander to open a .sit file.

5. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

No it wasn't. Launched in 2002 it was a Mac OS X app only.

It would actually be impossible anyway, because it is a cocoa app and OS 9 just plain doesn't support the cocoa framework.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Safari was never released for OS 9; I think the first version was for 10.2.

You need StuffIt Expander. If you have OS X on the computer then download it from there. If not, then it'll be easiest to reinstall it from the OS 9 CD.

Failing that, you could download the OS 9 version of Expander on a "working" computer, decompress it, then put the installer on a CD. You can then of course use this CD to install it on your laptop.

7. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Geez, you guys were so quick to correct me you didn't even realize I edited my post!

;)

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

whats the spec of the iBook? if it has 384MB RAM, get a PPC xubuntu. OS classic is way too obsolete.

(or if you feel like paying, get a 10.3 from ebay.)

9. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

It'd probably run Panther or something pretty well, at that point.

10. bartelby macrumors Core

Not for me. I use it quite regularly. OS 8 and 9.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

:D:D:D

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No it's not. There's a number of people who use System 7.5 because of its stability and efficiency.

Besides, if you want to talk about an obsolete OS, come over and talk to my Apple ][e as I play The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

13. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Thanks, MacRumors Forum Spy! :D

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, I guess I have to right to make statement based on the opinions of overwhelming majority of users rather than tiny minority of opinions:D Mostly, its helpful to OP

15. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Well, it looks like clevin turned me into a hypocrite...

:eek:

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can install the necessary firmware upgrade in OS9, and buy 10.2 or 10.3 if you have enough ram.

17. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Is 7.5 more stable than 7.6.1?

18. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

Well I downloaded the classic version of stuffit and extracted it on my PC and tossed it on a flashdrive but I can't install it from there...

I've got Panther on CD and I'm downloading Ubuntu for PPC now so hopefully that'll work, the only issue is my Panther disks are at home and I'm at school, so I'll have to get them another time, I'm just looking to get this going for now!

19. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Not sure Adobe have ever released a flash plugin for PPC Linux distros (like Ubuntu). Not sure how much of a big deal that is for you?

20. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Mac OS 7.5 still works, but if you only have hardware to run Classic, why would you stick with anything but the latest, (i.e. - Mac OS 9) best Classic? :confused:

The only reason I can think of is that you have basically never upgraded anything at all since you first bought the machine?