New to OS X problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gaelan, Jan 4, 2008.

1. gaelan macrumors regular

I recently did a clean Leopard install. Used superduper to back up my hdd, did the install, then used migration assistant to move the files back.

Just tried using bootcamp assistant to partition my drive. Tells me the process failed. I repaired permissions but all I get is:

Then I verify disk and get this:
    The repair button is not available.
    So...any ideas. Do I need to reinstall Leopard or go back to tiger? Both of which will be a pain in the ass.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Follow these instructions to repair your drive. You don't need to reinstall anything, but get everything backed up just in case. It's pretty normal for this to happen after installing Boot Camp. :)

3. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

I wasn't able to install Boot Camp. The failure came during the partioning process.

Window says: "Verification failed. This disk could not be partitioned. Use Disk Utility to repair this disk."

Running Tiger I was able to have a Windows parition.

Can a mod move this to the troubleshooting forum if needed? Thanks.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mate, this is a troubleshooting forum. Did you manage to repair the drive in the end? Remember to continue repairing it until no changes are made. In other words, you should do it at least twice, three times if the second time needed repairs too.

5. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

I've done the "verify disk permissions", "repair disk permissions", and the "verify disk" several times. The "Repair Disk" is not available.

I don't have the Leopard install disks, but I do have a partition on my external disk that has Leopard install that I used.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You can also boot into Single User Mode and repair from there if necessary.

7. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

I booted from the startup disk repaired permissions twice and repaired disk twice. Ran bootcamp assistant to create partition and got this:

"The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again."

Getting kind of frustrated. I did clone my HDD onto an external drive with SuperDuper. Should I format my external as suggested and try to restore using the cloned backup.

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Do you have very large files on your HD? Like, a Parallels virtual HD? Some very large video files?

9. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

i recently installed parallels, then removed it (i hope). other than dragging parallels to the trash, what should i do to properly uninstall? didn't run/install much in parallels when i had it.

i had bootcamp partitioned when i was running tiger, then i removed it when i installed leopard. recently got a wild hair to reinstall after i realized parallels was not what i needed. no big video files.

just ran fsck while in single user mode. said my hdd was ok.

10. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

you used the disk utility from your restore CDs?

11. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

i booted from the cd, selected utilities<disk utility and repaired from there.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew