New to os x

Discussion in 'macOS' started by drenriza, Jan 27, 2011.

1. drenriza macrumors newbie

Hi all.

I recently moved to os x from the linux system ubuntu. So im new in all this (please do not flame, the other os. Its waste of space)

And im wondering

#1 is their a way to make alias on os x?
    #2 is their a way to make hotkeys to open a terminal. I find it extreamly annoying that i have to double tab the icon everytime i have completly closed a terminal and want to open it again.

Thanks on advance.
    Kind regards.

2. simsaladimbamba

1. CMD+L, or right-click > Make Alias, or CMD+OPTION + drag.
    Two guides found via using a www search engine and the terms "mac os x make alias": In Mac OS X, what is an alias and how does it work? and Mac OS X: How to make an alias

2. What about not closing Terminal (the application, if you talk about that)? It does not take away resources in a big fashion and it is easier to navigate to (Dock, CMD+TAB > CMD+N for new window). Or you could use Spotlight, Alfred, Quicksilver or any of the other application launching ways to open Terminal.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

3. drenriza thread starter macrumors newbie

I think we are talking about two driffent things. When i say alias i mean.
    example loui='ssh -p xxxx user@ip -XYC'
    this is an alias, so when i type loui in the terminal, it will execute the ssh -p xxxx user@ip -XYC command.

I always close my terminal, because i have alot of driffent windows open at all times. Since i do alot of driffent things. And i do not have room for all. And the fastest way would be to make the keys
    example ctrl + shift + t opens a terminal in a new window.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Same as linux or any other *NIX. Edit your ~/.profile and add aliases there.

Additional info you might find helpful:

Darwin Tutorial, the subtle difference between command line operations might prove frustrating, but this is a good (if a bit outdated) resource for command line goodness.
    Apple 101, Darwin and the command line are only 1 piece of the Mac OS X puzzle. Aqua is the other, that link will introduce you to the Aqua interface and terminology.

5. simsaladimbamba

I didn't new you were talking about Terminal commands for aliases, as "alias" is the "official" term for Mac OS X' shortcuts when using a GUI.
    Therefore I don't know about that and maybe you could change your thread title accordingly to attract the proper audience, as yours is non-descript.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Do you mean you QUIT (CMD+Q) the application or just CLOSE (CMD+W) the window(s) you use in Terminal?
    Anyway, you could take a look at QuickSilver and its features.
    I just tried it with Alfred and while Terminal was running (not really a system resources collector, unless you use a very old Mac) I just pressed OPTION+Space and entered "te" and pressed Enter and a new Terminal window was opened.
    QuickSilver might do that faster for your, if using CMD+TAB + CMD+N is too cumbersome (might be with 10/15/25 open applications).

6. drenriza thread starter macrumors newbie

Their does not exist an ~/.profile or ~/.bashrc and if u create them will the system use or ignore them? does their need to be some special command inside the file before it is used?

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It will use them.. and no, no special command.