New to OSX - Apple's giving me the finger

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Robisan, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Robisan macrumors 6502

I've searched here, looked in the app store for add-ons etc., and googled for answers but found no solution -- Is there any way to stop/disable the stupid 'finger pointer' when the pointer hovers over a link? If you increase the size of the pointer by any significant amount (desirable for older eyes on a high-res screen) the corresponding larger finger pointer size makes it difficult to see what's underneath it -- a problem when selecting check boxes for example.

Does Apple think their users are so daft they wouldn't know a hotlink without it? (I much prefer the Windows option of having the hotlink underline when hovered over.)

More generally, are there any tools/add-ons that provide more pointer options? It seems Apple's position is you can have a black pointer and you'll like it. Period.

2. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

I don't think there is any easy way to do this. Conceivably you could replace the offending icon, so that the switch was not noticeable.
    One of the things people either love or hate about Apple is that they take their HIG very seriously sometimes. Customizing something like the behavior of the pointer is not something they want people to do.

3. twintin macrumors 6502

Not sure what windows version you are using, but out of the box my W7 gives me a finger too when hovering above a link.

4. Robisan thread starter macrumors 6502

W7 and previous versions (no experience w/W8 but assume it's same) give you a myriad of pointer options and pointer sets, including many that don't employ the finger. Firmware from input device makers (e.g. Logitech) will usually offer still more options.

There are a lot of things I like about my new/first mac, but Apple's propensity to take simple things like this and say 'you'll take the one option we give you and like it or you can bugger off' is not among them. It almost makes me want to throw a hammer at Big Brother (Apple now)...

5. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

You're not alone.

6. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

I like it, kinda like Hypercard has returned (if only)