New to OSX need help sharing with a p.c.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Will62185, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Will62185 macrumors newbie

Hi guys this is my first mac ever, got it for college, and to expand my knowledge, I love it but I need a little help. What I am trying to do is share my printer that is hooked up to my p.c. as well as file sharing with the p.c. as well. The weird thing is that my p.c. can see the mac and transfer files to it no problem, but when I try to do that from my mac, no dice. I tried calling apple, but since windows is involved, they can only make sure the mac side is setup correctly.

Breakdown of computers: MacBook Pro 13" with 10.6, P.C. with windows 7 ultimate, router: linksys g router, printer: canon mp600. The printer sharing is a temporary solution until I upgrade my router that has a built in print server, but the file sharing is important.

Thanks in advanced for your help and time.:D

2. techno96 macrumors member

make sure that you have a file shared, if you dont have any files selected to be shared than it wont do anything. also see if you can just make a new workgorup in windows 7

3. Will62185 thread starter macrumors newbie

No luck

So I changed the workgroup, put the mac on the same workgroup as my p.c., made sure they were on the same subnet, shared a specific folder on my p.c., and still no luck. My p.c. can see the mac just fine and transfer files with it, but when i want to transfer the files from my mac to the p.c. I get nothing.

I also made sure that file sharing is enabled which it is on both the p.c. and mac.

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

On your Mac, did you select the option that says "Share files and folders using SMB"? If not, that's why it's not working.

To do this, go to System Preferences -> Sharing, then select the File Sharing option. Once in that pane, select the folder you are sharing and click the "Options" button. From there, make sure that "Share files and folders using SMB" is checked.

Here's a link that shows you how to share files between a Mac running Leopard and a PC running Vista. I would think it should be basically the same for Snow Leopard to Windows 7.

5. Will62185 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much that website helped and now it works, I can share files woo hoo! I had smb sharing enabled, I just didn't know how to navigate over to the p.c. side. Thanks again!

Now I gotta find out how to share my windows printer, any awesome sites like that one? :D