New to Parallels/Boot Camp...More Questions!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by USAKeller, May 16, 2011.

1. USAKeller, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

USAKeller macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I'm new to these forums as well as new to having Apple as my new primary computer. I have a few questions regarding Parallels, Boot Camp, and the iMac. I have tried doing some research but there is way too much info for me to process so I'm hoping you all can help me out!

I bought my first iMac (21.5", 1TB hard drive, 4GB RAM) a few days ago...I have always been a Dell/Windows person but prior to my purchase, I found out I could still run Windows through Parallels and/or Boot Camp. Knowing this, I decided to "make the change to a Mac." I bought Parallels 6, installed it, then installed Windows 7, and have been running Parallels for a good few days now. I don't have anything horrible to say about it, but can't say that I'm overly excited about it. I know I'll eventually make the switch to Mac, but will always be partial to Windows and therefore still want Windows as it's my comfort zone (plus, one program I use is only compatible with Windows). I've read a lot that using Boot Camp allows for a faster-running machine. So now I'm entertaining the idea of using Boot Camp before I install a lot more programs and transfer over music, photos, etc. I also plan to double the RAM to 8GB sometime. Here are my questions...

1) What are your opinions/pros/cons to both programs?

2) The only thing I have to divide is the hard drive space, correct?

3) I read in another thread that some people run Boot Camp and Parallels together and the desktop will be identical to the desktop that my VM would be in Parallels - does that mean that whatever program I install in Windows (while in Boot Camp) would show up when I open Windows in Parallels? How does that work? Why would people run them together if it's already partitioned from Boot Camp? If I run Boot Camp, should I un-install Parallels first, then use Boot Camp, then re-install Parallels?

4) If I run Boot Camp and partition it, then I want to go back to Parallels only, how does that work with transferring anything I have previously saved/installed in Boot Camp?

5) What about viruses? If I get one in Boot Camp, do I have to wipe out the entire Mac OS X and Windows hard drives, or just the Windows side? And how would that work if I got a virus in Windows when I am running it in Parallels?

I think that's all I had for now...thanks in advance for any help/info!

2. simsaladimbamba

http://guides.macrumors.com/Booting_Windows_on_the_Mac
    Windows via Boot Camp is for taking advantage of all the hardware and running Windows natively.
    Running Windows as VM is for executing applications, that are not as CPU and GPU intensive, like Word or Excel for example.

Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities / Boot Camp Assistant will do that for you.

I only know, that Parallels Desktop does allow to use the Boot Camped Windows partition as VM.
    Maybe you can find something via "boot camp parallels" or similar search terms via MRoogle?

Again, I would use search engines, as it has been answered before, and before that.

No need to worry, as Windows viruses can't affect Mac OS X.
    And if you have a proper AV software for Windows, you might not even need to delete Windows to get rid of it.
    Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.

And to learn more about Mac OS X:

3. USAKeller, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011

USAKeller thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! - that's a great place for me to start. Anyone else have more food for thought?

4. USAKeller, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011

USAKeller thread starter macrumors newbie

Please Help! More Questions...

I do have some more questions...

1) I am having trouble after running Boot Camp and partioning, I can't get me Apple wireless mouse and keyboard to respond. When I plug my Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse into the iMac when in Windows, it works fine. But I can't get the Apple ones to respond....? And when the Apple wireless parts do work in Windows, it's completely random and sometimes to get them to work, I first have to plug in my Dell mouse/keyboard...

2) if I want to change the amount of space I partitioned, how do I do that? I've read it can be dangerous...

3) I have looked at an Apple troubleshooting page for keyboard shortcuts, but are there shortcuts in the Apple keyboard that Windows has such as "Print Screen", and when I hit delete (instead of backspace) on a Windows keyboard, I can delete a file. On the Apple keyboard, there is only a delete key and when I hit it, it takes me back to the previous screen.

Thanks again for any help!

5. didii macrumors newbie

I can answer your second and third question! First I don't know 'cause I don't use those apple mouse and keyboard.

A method that will take some time is to backup Windows with Winclone. Delete the partition, make a new one and restore the backup. If you want to enlarge the Windows partition it's your best option. DON'T use easeus (windows program)!!!!! I used it and had to reinstall my whole computer...
    Here is a thread for that. My method won't work to extend. Shrinking Windows I still need to test.

Delete is fn+backspace (in Mac OS X it's the backspace too). Printscreen isn't possible on an apple keyboard. Start - Programs - Accessories - Ease of Access - On-screen-keyboard. There you'll have a printscreen button.

Hope I could help!