New To Photography, Some Help Please?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mrcowdude20, Oct 2, 2011.

1. mrcowdude20 macrumors regular

Hello, I am just wondering a little bit about the DSLR world.

1. Is the Nikon D3000 a good beginner camera? I love taking pics of nature, random things and pets/poeple.

2. Where can I find reviews for cameras like this? (websites, books, etc.)

3. What do I need to know about DSLRs?

4. Do you have any suggestions about different DSLR's or SLR's?

Thanks so much!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

1. It's considered an entry-level DSLR.

2. Google and/or dpreview.com or dcresource.

3. Google.

4. Don't go overboard on lenses until you know what you're doing.

3. mrcowdude20 thread starter macrumors regular

Like I said, I'm new, and don't know anything about it. I was using a Canon Powershot Point-and-Shoot or something like that. But thanks anyway...

4. davidinva, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

davidinva macrumors 6502a

Camera reviews

Steve's Digicams reviews most all camera and gives both photo and movie examples. Sometimes seems to like all cameras, but still gives good summaries. Amazon sells almost all cameras and has plenty of user reviews. Rated from 1 to 5 stars. The 1 star reviews are entertaining for the comments they receive. I have both a DSLR (Canon 450) and a point-and-shoot (Panasonic SZ6) and use the Pany more as I always have it with me. The Canon comes in handy enough times (action shots, indoor low-light, etc.) that I am keeping it. Investigate enough and you will become thoroughly confused.

5. Pikemann Urge macrumors 6502

photo.net is a good site for anyone from beginner to professional. There is a special forum for beginners which you're more than welcome to post in. I'm a subscriber (so I pay, and I get a few perks for it) but you do not have to pay to post threads or comments.

6. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

The D3100 is a decent entry-level camera.

Nikon and Canon make great cameras and lenses; either would be fine for DSLR. (not saying the other brands are horrible but the Nikon/Canon brands have a great cohesive package).

You can take decent shots with this camera. A co-worker bought one this summer before her vacation and was VERY pleased with the results. This is her first DSLR. She was thrilled it can take clear photos and fast (compared to a P&S). I know some people who sells photos from the D3100 and use it for weddings (maybe that was the D5000 for weddings). That said, this is decent for entry-level. Once you get the hang of this, you can upgrade the body for something better. I would go to a store and feel the camera. Make sure you are comfortable with the weight (or lack thereof for this model) and positioning of buttons. The D5100 is a mid entry-level camera, better stuff than the 3100 and some parts of the 5100 are the same as the 7000.

What you need to know:
    P&S cameras are one-handed cameras. DSLRs are two-handed cameras.
    P&Ss are slow; DSLRs are faster.
    DSLRs are heavier, but have a handy neck strap.
    You will want to purchase UV and Circular Polarizer filters for your lens.

PS. I had a D70 and moved to the D7000 but that is out of your league if you are starting out. No sense paying more if you aren't understanding the whole DSLR camera.