New to site maintenance

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by TuffLuffJimmy, Apr 2, 2009.

1. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Hi!
    I've been trying to make a weblog type site, not because I really need a blog but I'm interesting in learning to maintain a website. I would like to create a custom interface, I'm pretty good at CSS and HTML, however I have zero experience in any scripting languages and very limited experience in javascript. Is there any web development tool I could use that would:
    1. keep x amount of entries on the first page
    2. create a way to go back through previous entries
    3. create a searchable index
    4. create an RSS feed (this really isn't necessary)

I would still like to be able to have full control over how the site looks, the only parts that I would want automated would be organizing my entries.

Thanks for any help :)

2. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

well, its sounds to me like you are looking for content management... start with some open source ones like Drupal and Joomla. Both are customizable to give you control over how the site looks...

3. TuffLuffJimmy thread starter macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I have been looking at both of those options, but I hadn't committed because of one very important thing I forgot about. I need to be able to host this on MobileMe (for now as it's just a personal project with no real direction) and I couldn't tell if that would work as the sites said I'd need Apache server stuff.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You'll need a system that doesn't use an SQL database. That eliminates Wordpress ( frown ). I'm not sure how the other alternatives handle their database though.

5. TuffLuffJimmy thread starter macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

My question remains the same.
    I realize that OSX has a fair bit of apache goodness going for it, but does that mean I can serve and manage a drupal or joomla database on my iDisk?

6. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Better have a fast Internet connection (T1 or better). Wouldn't hurt to have a router, dedicated IP and lots of memory.

I think your better alternative is to invest a small amount of cash each month into a low cost webhost provider who offers PHP/MySQL as most of the free blogware is open source like that. Buy a domain inexpensively or get it free from some hosts who offer specials on such bundled deals.

See the sticky topic I posted in this forum which includes web hosts commonly recommended here.

Your Mac is fine for developing locally (not internet), i.e. get MAMP and RapidWeaver and you're all set to do novice to guru stuff. Then publish to the webhost.

My .02

-jim

7. TuffLuffJimmy thread starter macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Alrighty thanks for the info.
    The site wouldn't be hosted locally on my computer, it would be stuck on Apple's MobileMe servers.

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent