New to SLRs; first outing...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ec51, Aug 17, 2010.

1. ec51 macrumors 6502

I would like any advice, pointers, comments...everything.

I am just learning about SLRs and manual operation of these awesome things...this was the first time out with my SLR.

Please let me know what you all think...thanks!

Eric

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52314700@N08/

2. scottkifnw macrumors regular

scottkifnw

Not Bad!

Personally, I think that the lead in lines from the bottom tow boardwalks are more compelling. I also like the dog photo (I am a dog lover).

It looks like you are shooting from chest high level or so. You might want to try shooting from different vantage points- ground level, standing on something (safely of course).

When you feel a bit comfortable, play with Photoshop or other program, as you can really improve the photos to your taste, or even totally distort them for creative effect.

Keep up the good work.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Congratulations on your new purchase. :)

I have one thing to say about your photos, and photos in general: Slanted horizons are usually a distraction, IMO. ;) In fact, a photo with a slightly tilted horizon is more distracting to me than a photo with a huge tilt such as in the first photo. Reason: A huge slant in the horizon (e.g. your 1st photo) looks intentional, while a slight slant looks like an oversight by the photographer. ;) I usually don't like a slant, but I find slight slants to be worse.

4. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

That's a good point and I agree, img_2469, the horizon's slant is more annoying. IMG_2470 has a slant to it that is more pleasing, but I think that is also because of how the bridge/walkway is making it's way into the picture from the corner.

5. CW Jones macrumors 6502

The best advice I could give, find yourself a photography forum. Not to say you won't get good advice from people on here however a forum dedicated to photography means everyone on there 100,000+ on some will be able to help. I don't ask for computer help on my photography forums! haha

PM me if you want some good sites to join.
    -Collin

6. bsamcash macrumors regular

Very dynamic! Just watch those highlights; they tend to blow out and clip on DSLRs.

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

Nice shots. I posted some comments on them. I would suggest FredMiranda.com It is crazy how well known that site has become over the years. DPREVIEW is ok, but I HATE their forum layouts. We are not in 2002 (when I first joined that site), yet their layout is. I know Phil Askey isn't poor, lol.

photography on the net is good (from what I can tell), and for critiques, photosig.com is great! I have been there for a decade almost already!

8. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Hmmm, I'm an active member of the Canon forum P.O.T.N., http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php, mostly in the Astronomy and Celestial sub-forum, a great place.
    However I do like the smaller/intimidate feeling of this forum.
    Here the weekly contests challenge me - their changing variety is great, as well as the POTD thread is good for feedback. Some very knowledgeable members here.

Anyway, to the OP welcome.

9. CW Jones macrumors 6502

That would be exactly the forum I was talking about haha

I rarely make an experience in that section however. I agree that on a forum like that you can feel a bit "lost" which is why I also like http://www.thephotobeat.com/index.php

Which is a great, much smaller site but still offers a LOT of great information and critiques. Same with http://www.thephotoforum.com/ but on a slightly larger scale.

PS. Just found you on POTN... your going to have to show me how to do star trails! that's pretty sweet!

10. sananda macrumors 68020

11. stujmac26 macrumors regular

Great start

Welcome to the world of SLR photography! I really like IMG_2467, the light is perfect. If the clouds were moving it would be nice to see what that shot looked like with a longer exposure, but I guess it was probably too light for anything very long.

What lenses do you have? I see that all the shots you posted were on very wide angle lenses - is this how you like to shoot or just what you are starting out with?

12. stujmac26 macrumors regular

Also agree with this. Slants can be easily corrected in Aperture, Photoshop etc. and it makes a big difference to the feel of the photo :)

13. ec51 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a couple I sort of "inherited" from my father in law; this one was a wide angle lens that I just started off shooting with. I thought with the setting in mind, the lens would be perfect.

14. ec51 thread starter macrumors 6502

Still learning...

Hey there...

I enjoyed the feedback so much from this thread. I definitely remember Abstract's comment regarding straight horizons and now subconsciously think it before each shot...

These are some shots I recently took on a trip to Washington DC. Unedited at this point...

Feedback, comments...please!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52314700@N08/sets/72157626847910679/

15. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

I think you can cut some of the sky out of 6399.

I like 6477, but seems a bit shaky. It'd be good to lower your angle a bit as well.

16. tinman0 macrumors regular

Hey, good start with those pictures.

Biggest bit of advice I can give you though is to get yourself on a composition course at your local camera shop or club. I went on one in 2010, and it's the best $30 I've spent in photography. Having human contact on a short single evening course is worth a million hours trawling the net anonymously.

Camera/Photography clubs are also a good place (if you can stand the twee-ness of it all) to go. Lots of experience there, and you see what other work people are producing. Standards can be a lot higher than you expect!

(Oh and stop holding the camera at an angle ;) You'll come back to those slanty shots in 3 years time and cringe!)

17. prettypictures macrumors newbie

Courageous Beginner..Need Advice!

Hello, I am a pretty courageous beginner! So here's my story, really hope to get some help!!! I own the little Nikon D50 and have a little 15' HP laptop that is about to be thrown out my window! In 07' I did a wedding w/ my D50..I had no idea what I was doing...but the family was pleased! They needed a list minute photographer and a friend recommend me for the job! I actually shot the ENTIRE wedding in AUTO!!!! I can't believe it now that I look back on it! Ok now I am strongly considering picking this hobby back up again. IN FACT, a another friend of mine pushed me and long story short, I have a wedding to shoot this fall! I just shot their engatment photos this past weekend! They do know what they are getting, was very upfront that I am not a professional, just a beginner! I am also going to do a family member's wedding next year as well! I have soo much to learn! I rented a Nikon D90 and it was incredible, thinking about buying this SLR to step up my game. What I'm contemplating on now is, b/c of cost of course, is what would be best to purchase for editing/post production work? I would love to buy the 27' iMac w/ the works..but 2k is not feasible for me right now! It may be in a year though. I've read about the MBooks, I could afford to spend a little over 1k. But I've also seen that the screen isn't true color, you shoudl purchase an extra moniter for viewing/editing and it seems these costs would just add up! Just don't know if this would be a wise choice, thinking I could just save what I would spend on a MacBook and purchase the 27'iMac. What I want to do more is a few, "side jobs" like engagement photos, sweet 16 parties and maybe more weddings. I also love making photo slide shows. I did a 20minute slide show for a church came out great...but my HP was pushed to the limit! I've thought about as well to just spend 500 bucks on a Sony Vaio and wait it out till next year to afford the iMac. Please help!:confused:

18. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

If you are looking for a new computer and can't afford the 27" iMac, why rule out the 21" iMac so quickly? It doesn't cost much more than a MacBook, and is right in line with the 13" MacBook Pro. Even the base model comes standard with a quad core i5, 4 GB RAM, and a dedicated graphics card. That's plenty of power to handle basic photography tasks. My iMac has the 3.06GHz C2D with 6GB RAM and handles Aperture working with RAW files from my Canon T2i just fine.

19. prettypictures macrumors newbie

Is Base model enough for slide shows?

Thanks for your reply. So the base model w/ the 21" iMac would also be adequate for some 15-20min photo slide shows as well?

20. annaks macrumors newbie

Northern Alberta, CAN, originally Auburn/Puyallup
    Absolutely!

After switching to macs 2 years ago, I cannot go back.

[Except for a netbook meant mainly for listening to internet radio and podcasts, more reliable than an internet radio and the same price.]

When price is the deciding factor, I would try refurbished and after that used macs before PCs. Check local stores and online and try for at least a year warranty - I believe macs come with only a year anyways, mine did.

21. annaks, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

annaks macrumors newbie

Northern Alberta, CAN, originally Auburn/Puyallup
    Advice

Generally:

-Move in with your feet as much as possible, even if you have a zoom.

-Look up and get down - literally lay down or get up higher. I carry a stool or look for a higher spot, including climbing a tree.

-Look for shadows and reflections.

-Expose high enough to get all your highlights without losing any, unless you want a very high key photo (light with lots of white). You can always darken but lightening does not work well, it results in graininess and color loss. Any loss of shadow detail usually enhances your pic. Use you highlight display after each photo, if you have one, or your histogram.

-Most of the detail is captured in the last two sections of your histogram. Look at your histogram after the photo and adjust your exposure for another shot if needed.

Rules are made to be broken, even slanted horizons. :)

22. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

You have a DSLR now, play with Depth of Field. ;)