New to SSDs, how much storage do I need??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davidg4781, Jun 28, 2015.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

My mom's PC died and she's actually considering buying my MBP. Before, she didn't care much for Apple and I let her use it to pay some bills and she said oh, this is really simple to use (it took her a while to get the pushing up on the trackpad).

So, unfortunately for me, I may be "forced" to purchase a new Mac. I thought of getting one of the new rMB but I think I may need the Pro (that's for another thread). What I'm looking at now is how much storage do I need? I currently have a 750 GB HDD of which I'm using 396 GB. Looking at the prices for a 512 GB or 1 TB drive is making me think I'd be better off getting my mom a used laptop from Craig's List.

In my Movies folder, I have 65 GB of stuff, which is, IIRC, some DVD rips I can probably get rid of. I also have 123 GB in Music, which I think is everything in my iTunes library. I can maybe move Movies to an external drive, but, it just seems so out of my hands to do something like that. I guess I'm used to keeping it with me everywhere I go, even though I rarely access them.

Is that how users should use 128 and 256 GB Macs? Keep video files either in the cloud or on a separate drive?

2. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

Get 256 and put most of your media files on an external drive (ideally NAS).

128 is too small, 512 is nice if you can afford it but not generally necessary.

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

Would I put my iTunes library on it as well? That would mean if I happen to take my MBP with me somewhere if have to take the external as well, right? At least if I want to use that media?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Network attached storage can be accessed remotely.

Maybe look at the refurbished store, a 2014 will have slightly worse graphics and no force trackpad but you can get some decent savings and get that 512gb ssd.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/13

5. mcmul macrumors 6502

I would recommend buying the cheaper 256GB version along with an external hard drive for your occasional large (usually media) files. I use an assortment of NAS, "cloud" and external drives.

6. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

I wonder if I can use my PM G5 for this? I'd definitely have to upgrade my HDDs, but it would probably add 50% to my electric bill.

And sorry if I sound dumb on this. I've always had fairly large HDDs and just kept everything I needed with me, although I rarely even the media, even away from home. It's synced to iPhone and that's where I consume it, mostly. Now that I'm considering a new MacBook, it's got me thinking about how this all works out. How does iTunes play well with having its library on a NAS? I was thinking that an NAS will cost the same as the upgrade from 256 to 512, but the quick one I was looking at was 4 TB. I can use that for TM backups and maybe even add more DVD rips and play them through Apple TV.

7. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I have a 64GB micro SD in a slim adapter that is almost flush with the MBP case. That gives me extra storage tat is reasonably fast and swappable if needed. That way, when I want to watch historical documentaries about the Walmington-on-Sea Home Guard I have them ready, You Silly Boy...

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Hi,

Storage on SSDs is no different than storage on mechanical drives. It's completely subjective as to what is enough and whether or not externals are commonly used along with internals doesn't necessarily mean it will be your preference.

If you've used a computer in the past, you should know typically what you will need as far as storage, and whether or not you are opposed to or prefer to have externals. SSDs are more expensive than mechanical drives so if you are going to be mixing your storage up via externals it is best to put system related files as well as applications on the internal SSD and media files on the external drive.

Storage is mainly a preference thing, but I understand what you are saying with the cost of SSDs not being too appealing. I hope this helps.

9. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, I get that. And maybe I either asked the wrong question or going down the wrong path.

Apple obviously doesn't think I need large onboard storage in a MB. I don't think they ever have. The bottom line iMac comes with .5 TB, all the others come with 1 TB. Same with the mini. The Pro is less, but that's a totally different animal.

I guess I'm trying to figure out how to make it work within their system, and I'm thinking either a NAS or keeping everything in the cloud is best, with the smaller drives.

On the other hand, I may wait until the next revision. I have a feeling the new MBPs will have USB-C, maybe a slimmer design, and possibly larger storage.

10. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Now that SSDs are becoming more and more standard in most laptops (sans consumer/"everyday computing") this isn't really something Apple is doing to you. It's like that for most "Pro" laptops - take a look at Dell for example. If you want anything more than a 500 GB mechanical you're going to be paying quite a bit unless you want to do the upgrade yourself, which is still pricey of course. They're expensive drives, and the laptops themselves cannot be offered at the price points that they are without more than a 128 GB or 256 GB SSD. 1 TB and beyond starts to equate to ridiculous pricing for SSDs.

If you can't shell out money for an internal drive (not suggesting you should be able to, they're overpriced) or would simply rather not, your options are cloud storage or physical external storage.

11. lunaoso, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015

lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

I think either doing that or getting a high capacity flash drive would work well. I know it's one more thing to carry around, but it isn't as inconvenient as a full external hard drive.

EDIT: Even a 256GB SD card could be an option. I see a few for $100 on Amazon. You don't get the transfer speed of a ssd obviously, but you're saving $200 for the same amount of storage.