New to the Apple, quick question.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tunnelrat81, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Tunnelrat81 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

As of tonight I've taken my first steps toward being a mac user. I've been frustrated with microsoft for a while now, but have been forced to use it after running Linux as an alternative for a year or two and eventually getting frustrated with it. I was recently fortunate enough to acquire a "dead" (power supply was shot) Dual 2.0 G5 for free, and as of tonight have installed the new PS and have it up and running. That's the good news, and I'm anxious to start exploring OS X.

My problem however, is that the computer came to me without a keyboard. I'm VERY new to the proprietary hardware world, and am curious about what options I have. If I could run a standard USB or wireless keyboard I'd be happy, I just don't know whether it's possible or not to assign an 'extra' key to act as the "eject" button so I can actually access my optical drive. As you can see, I'm very new to this Mac thing. I just can't really do much until I have a functional keyboard.

-Do I have to buy a Apple keyboard?

-Is there a way that I can use my extra wireless logitec mouse/keyboard
    combo I have here already? ( Standard PC keyboard/mouse).

-If I have to buy an Apple keyboard, do they ever show up used for cheaper?

Thanks so much for your time.

-Jeremy

2. Will G. macrumors member

Not sure about creating an eject key on a non-Apple keyboard, but there are several simple ways to eject a disk within OS X without using the keyboard.

3. stevegmu macrumors regular

4. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

dude, you got the rig for free- buck up and spend the money on a keyboard..
    ;-)... I'm just teasing you.. as far as the mouse goes most, if not all, seem to work fine.. The keyboards a little trickier- from what I understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong anyone, you can use it but there are some differences with keystroke commands that could be confusing if you're not aware.. That could be wrong, that's what I've heard, I've always just used an Apple keyboard..

Good luck with the new set up..hope it works out well for you..

5. MikeL macrumors 6502

Most Logitech and MS keyboards work just fine. All you have to do is look at what the system requirements are for any particular keyboard that might suit your fancy.

Logitech's software is somewhat dodgy at times. When I ran it on a G5, I sometimes had to try different versions in order to find one that worked well with my system. Hopefully they have improved that!

I've got no experience with MS's Mac keyboard software, but I did just install a new MS keyboard for a gal at work today. The keyboard's software CD had both Mac and PC software. It's probably best to download the latest and greatest, but at least you know there is support.

There are also a number of third-party Mac specific keyboards out there.

Another alternative is to pick up an Apple keyboard. Quite a few of us have a bunch of old keyboards sitting around. Post an ad saying that you want one in the classifieds here, and you'll get plenty of offers.

6. phjo macrumors regular

Not sure about your wireless combo but any usb keyboard would work...

I'd rather use an apple keyboard myself, and as for your last question, I guess it should not be too difficult to buy second hand apple usb keyboard because new keyboards (alu) came with the alu imacs and were sold independantly since, and I guess many mac users upgraded to that one and probably have now one unused apple keyboard...

Then plug ANY usb mouse to the apple keyboard, and you're all set (I would avoid mightymouse myself...)

phjo

7. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I'm the only one who likes the mighty mouse..haha.. don't ask me why, because there's no denying there's much to hate about it, but for some reason I like it..

8. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

It's like Johnnie Cochrane said. If the glove don't fit...

The MM fits me fine, however.

9. MikeL macrumors 6502

The thing I dislike the most about the MM is having to have just one finger on the mouse to right-click.

10. Tunnelrat81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wanted to update you guys on this thread. I ended up buying the Microsoft wired mouse/keyboard set and it's been great. It took me two isntallations of the MS software before the computer would identify the keyboard, but it's up and running and I was able to assign all the commands I wanted into the extra keys. Thanks again for the help.

-Jeremy