New to the Apple world

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jshin100, Oct 26, 2011.

1. jshin100 macrumors newbie

jshin100

Well, not all the way new as I own a iPod Touch and iPad 2, but now I'm looking to get into the MacBook Pro line-up. I looked through a few threads and had a few questions that haven't been answered yet.

1. I'm looking at a Macbook Pro 13. I'm coming from a 15 inch Dell that I purchased at the end of 2009 and I discovered the landscape of the 13 is actually comfortable. However, I am concerned about durability. As I type this, my Dell Studio 15's plastic casing is chipping away and has caused the chassis to crack, exposing the innards of my laptop. The track-pad died within 6 months of me owning it and I'ml losing buttons on the keyboard everyday Lol. The Dell sits on a computer table and doesn't travel so it's never been dropped. I guess I got a lemon. Do I have to worry about this with the Macbook?

2. I'm a student so I depend on Microsoft's Office Suite alot. Is the Microsoft Office software for Mac full featured as the one found on Windows computers? I also own a large music library and I stream movies through NetFlix from time to time and I use my laptop in leisure for making music and things like that. Should I be concerned about ram as well?

3. And finally, my Dell and printer together were only 800 dollars. I know the 13 MBP will be considerably more. Is going the refurb route good or should it be avoided?

Thanks guys for all your help, and I'm sorry if I asked repeatedly asked questions. (I did an honest search around)

2. simsaladimbamba

1. The Unibody construction makes the MBP more durable and less prone to cracking. And if it cracks, you can always ask Apple about a repair, as you have a one year warranty and can get two additional years via Apple Care.

2. MS Office 2011 is as featured as the Windows version.
    RAM can be upgraded easily.

MacRumors Guides: Apple Refurbished Store

Apple Certified Refurbished Products

If you want more information, here are just a few of many threads on this topic, found by searching the forum with MRoogle:
    Refurbished MBP or New?
    Getting an iMac - New or Refurbished?
    Refurbished vs new
    HELP: Refurbished 17" or New High End 15"?!
    Are Refurbished Macs as high quality their new counterparts?
    Do refurbished fail more often than new MBP's?
    New MPB or refurbished model?

search results by GGJstudios

3. warvanov macrumors 6502a

1) Apple's products are durable and long lasting. You should have very few worries so long as you don't treat your laptop carelessly. It won't fall apart like your Dell did.

2) MS Office for Mac is a full featured office suite. There may be some key differences that others could fill you in on but generally speaking you don't have anything to worry about.

3) The refurb route is not a bad idea. Apple offers the same one year warranty on the refurbished macs as they do on the new ones, and I believe you can even purchase Apple Care for an additional two years of coverage if you think that's a good idea.

4. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

5. madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

1) Apple outlasts every single other computer I've ever owned. Each of my Windows-based laptops died within 2 years (5 computers now), and my Apple Macbook from 2006 is still going strong. Not to mention, customer service is incredible. I treat my Macbook Pro a lot better than my Macbook, but I stepped on my Macbook, dropped it, spilled water on it, and shipped it bare in my suitcases a million times and nothing happened haha!

2) Office for Mac is basically the same, especially the newest version. I haven't had a single time I've noticed anything missing. As for RAM, I upgraded to 8GB, but 4GB would be sufficient

3) Apple Refurbs are great. They look and perform as brand-new ones, and come with the standard 1 year warranty. 3 years can be purchased too and they receive the same amount of great customer service. They go through extensive testing to ensure they are new quality.

You certainly won't regret your purchase!

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

1) People should stop compareing cheap Windows Notebooks to an expensive Apple Notebook. You'd have bought a Dell Laitude or at least the Dell XPS line you would have no troubles. If you buy a Vostro or Inspiron and the studio was just a better looking inspiron, well that is what you pay for.

2) No it is not but it has most of the Features. Performance sucks though. Everytime I work on a big paper I often end up launching Windows 7 in the VM an run Office 2010 there because that works so much better and faster.
    Office 2011 works but I would say it is about as crappy a software compared to other stuff as your Dell Studio is a crappy hardware to a MacBook Pro.

3) You don't need a new printer. If you want to save money and your primary requirement is a notebook that lasts you long and doesn't fall apart there are cheaper alternatives. Especially many new series that came out this year seem to have made a big step up from the old plastic crap that was sold.
    The good thing about a MBP is OSX (which is not so great if you heavily rely on Office) and the great screen(below 1000$ you only find crap panels with no contrast). The bad thing is OSX and running Windows on it is only good for games and compatibility but not for most work (battery life sucks) and that you get a gaming capable GPU like a 540M in Windows Notebooks.

7. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

1. Dell notebook cases are very bad about flexing and breaking stuff. My son and my brother both had problems with Dell laptops. Never had a problem with numerous IBM/Lenovo laptops at work. MacBook is very solid.

2. Outlook for the Mac is very different and I prefer the native mail app to Outlook. No Access database. Excel, Word, and Powerpoint work well and I haven't run into any compatibility issues. I moved from PC to Mac last year.

3. Any device returned to Apple must be sold as refurbished. If someone buys a 13" MacBook and decides a couple days later that they want a 15", they can return it and the old one gets sold as refurb. Nice deal if you can get what you want.

8. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

I had a top-of-the-line custom-build Dell before my MBP, and the build-quality was terrible. The first one arrived faulty (motherboard and wifi card), the second one the hard drive died. My MBP is faultless two years on, and I'm about to upgrade the hard drive(s) (replacing my optical drive with a second HDD) as I expect to keep it another 1-2 years.

9. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

1. I've had 3 Gateway laptops now. The first one lasted about 2 years. The second one died after a year. The third one I purchased in August of 2010 and in March of 2011 I purchased a 13" MacBook Pro. The Gateway has been sitting in my laptop case since March. It still works, the Mac is just better. I know Gateway is not Dell, but it pretty much sums up the quality of Windows laptops.

2. Microsoft Office 2011 works great and I have not had any issues. I used to use the 2010 Professional suite on the Windows machines since I get a great deal through my employer. With the Mac I only use Excel. Word and PowerPoint. Have not had any performance or compatibility issues.

3. The refurb route with apple is just as good as buying new. You still get the 1 year warranty and can add Apple Care for an additional 2 years. In regards to printers, I'm still using the same printer I've had for the past 3 years and it works great with the Mac. You shouldn't have any issues with the pinter.

10. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I have had great experiences with refunds too!

11. jshin100 thread starter macrumors newbie

jshin100

Thanks everyone for the great input. Well looks like I'll be getting my MBP for Christmas (Sooner if this Dell doesn't completely conk out lol) I don't know much about the Mac ecosystem outside of the iPad and iPod Touch but I'm sure I'll grasp it fast. @Dusk, I compared the Dell because at the end of the day the MBP is a laptop as well. Calm down. :rolleyes:

12. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It is not that it is that. I said people not you specifically.
    That is just not true. Dell builds really good Notebooks. A Dell Latitude or Lenovo Thinkpad are their equals and both tougher than a MacBook Pro. Not as thin though.
    These kind of blanket statements are just annoying and really common on Mac forums.

BTW I do have a 15" MBP too. There are good reasons to get one. But there are stupid reasons too.