New to the forum, new to the Mac...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AntonM, Dec 25, 2010.

1. AntonM macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, i'm looking to switch to mac and have few questions to ask as im rubish when it comes to technology!

I would like to get Macbook Pro powerfull enough so i can do the following quick without slowdowns etc:

1 - Browse the net and email
    2 - Stream catch ups (like BBC iPlayer or 4od) to my TV
    3 - Play games, mainly strategy like Total War series, Civ5, Football Manager 4 - I understand i need bootcamp or paralels to run Win7, which is better for games i mentioned?
    5 - I need to do a bit of word processing wich is better Microsoft ofice or Apple iWork?

I was looking at either i7 processor but cant decide wether to go for 2.66ghz or 2.8ghz. Also would i need 4gb or 8gb of ram for the things i would use it for?

Thanks for any info

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Any of the MBP's will meet your needs just fine

Yes, if you are going to game, BootCamp is preferred over virtualization

MR Guide - iWork v. MS Office

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

For what you listed that you are wanting to do on the computer, an iPad will do everything on that list, minus play Civ V.

With that said, it depends on how much you want to spend. It seems like an i7 would be overkill. Do you want super portability? Do you want a mondo hi-rez screen?

A MBA I would think would run Civ V fine. Have you looked at the refurbed section of the Apple store? Quite some deals to be had in there!

4. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

5. dtblaze macrumors regular

Buy a simple mbp 13 inch and your set. It will run all those programs with ease. If I were you though, I would wait since it's almost april and they are coming out c/ a refresh. If you need it now though, that is another story...also bootcamp and office is your #1 choice IMO.

6. AntonM thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply people,

My budget is between £1500 and £2000 (i live in UK) obviosly i would want to spend as less as possible but want to keep the laptop for 3 to 5 years hence i was thinking getting a top spec so in few years it will still be decent!

I was thinking on waiting for the new range but need a laptop within a month

7. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

For the items you listed, you certainly don't need an i7 processor. Any mac even the ones of several years ago will do what you want and do it well.