New to the iMac family

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Bluebros, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Bluebros, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013

Bluebros macrumors regular

Hello All...

This is my first post but I've been a lurker for a few months. I want to thank you all for the great information that you've shared over the past few days. As you can tell from looking at my system, I've been waiting on an upgrade for a long time. I knew I wanted the iMac a couple of months ago but after doing some research, (reading MacRumors) I decided to hold off for the updates. I'm pretty excited about my purchase.

iMac 27" :)
    3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X4GB
    1TB Fusion Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5

This is what I've learned and since I've learned it all from you guys... Hope I got it right!

I do some light FCPX video work but nothing too demanding. I was just looking for a system that could handle the editing software, photoshop, and all the everyday chores. I felt that the 3.4GHz was an upgrade enough and hopefully it will "future proof" me for a few years.

8GB or Ram... Thank you all for giving me the tip of upgrading on my own. I have the Crucial 2x8GB Memory on its way to me now from Amazon. This will bump my system up to 24GB of RAM.... NICE!!

1TB Fusion Drive... I tell you what, you people just about drove me crazy with indecision as I went back and forth with SSD/Flash vs. Fusion. At the end of the day, I didn't read one review from a person who had a Fusion drive who didn't openly love it. The only negative reviews were SSD faithfuls and while I fully understand the arguments for SSD, 128GB of Flash plus 1TB of HDD seems like the best of both worlds. I get fast access to what I use the most and enough storage to where I don't have to worry about external hard drives. I feel good about the Fusion and after I get the new machine, I will come back and share my thoughts on that.

782m 4GB graphics card... That seemed like a no brainer. I am not a gamer but I darn well could be now! I didn't want to mess around with FCPX and since I didn't opt for the i7, the upgrade seemed reasonable enough to do it.

So there you go! That was my thought process in buying the new iMac after reading all of your posts. Again, thanks to you all who spend the time educating us folks in the dark who ask the same questions, over, and over, and over.

I purchased 9/26 @ 11:45pm and delivery is scheduled for 10/9 - 10/11

Current System:

MBP 13' Mid-2010 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 6 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

2. Aameiel macrumors regular

Aameiel