New to the iPhone, what tools to use?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by STC, May 14, 2008.

1. STC macrumors 6502a

So I bought the $250 refurb this AM. I cant wait to get it. I registered today hoping to get a heads up on this so when my iPhone does come, I'll be prepared.

I noticed a few months ago that ZiPhone was the tool to use to unlock, and jailbreak. Today I see thats not the case. All I really want to do is to jailbreak it, (dont need to unlock it because I'm on At&t), get an installer, download some apps, NES games, and a few other small things. Nothing major.

I see there are a few new apps to jailbreak, like iPlus and iLiberty. Which is the best one?
    I keep reading people saying get installer.app so you can dl 3rd party apps. My question is where do I get the Installer.app!

Pls help a noob out. I've tried to read through the threads, but am still very confused. Thx!

2. bdsmyth macrumors regular

If you're using a Macbook then Ziphone is still the best. I've used it a few times on my own and friends phones and NEVER had a problem. There's enough switches on the command line to do just about everything and the GUI that comes with it makes jailbreaking or combinations of unlocking, jailbreaking and activation a breeze. If you haven't got a macbook then sell your pc/laptop and buy one :) Mac Rules!

3. STC thread starter macrumors 6502a

I use XP.

So when I get the phone (since I dont need to unlock), should I use iTunes to upgrade the firmware 1st, then use ZiPhone or iLiberty or iPlus?

Or just use ZiPhone or whatever to jailreak, etc. Thx!

This is so confusing.

4. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

I used Winpwn on Vista 64 and the only trouble I had were from my own errors. Otherwise it was extremely simple and I learned a few things about what I was actually doing to my phone in the process. So now in the future if something goes wrong I wont be left in the dark frantically posting on a message board.

5. STC thread starter macrumors 6502a

So when I get the phone should I use iTunes to upgrade the firmware 1st, then use ZiPhone or whatever to jailbreak and activate?

Or should I Jailbreak and activate 1st then do the firmware in Itunes?

6. onlycopunk macrumors 6502