New to the Mac App Store and have a Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jordandmb, Jun 23, 2011.

1. jordandmb macrumors newbie

Hello, this may be a dumb question but I was wondering how come when I look at an app in my applications folder and secondary click it to bring up the drop down menu and select get info, the size of the application doesn't match up with what the size says it is on the Mac App store? Non of my apps that I have purchased match up and I was just curios why, everyone of my apps that I have downloaded so far are larger then what it says it is in the App Store. If someone could please answer as to why that is, it would be much appreciated! I hope what I just said make sense, maybe I'm just over thinking it, but just thought I'd ask, i've only had my Mac for about week now.

Thanks, Jordan

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

Never noticed this, but my initial guess is the size in the app store is the package download size, which is compressed and the app installed is the complete uncompressed app and its associated package content.

3. nicky0 macrumors member

That's right, the size shown on store is the size of the compressed download. After download, it is uncompressed and so the size on your disk will be bigger.

4. jordandmb thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh that makes better sense, I didn't even think about it like that. Thank you guys for your response!

5. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

And also Apple changed the way file sizes are shown with some apps (Finder for example) in Snow Leopard

If I get info on a song in iTunes it is 5.1 meg
    same song is Finder is 5.3

Downloaded TV show is 175 meg
    In Finder it is 185 meg

Not sure what way the store works it out, but there are discrepancies depending on how you look at file sizes