New to the Mac side of life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NeKro, Jun 17, 2011.

1. NeKro, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011

NeKro macrumors newbie

Hey guys and girls, I just made the switch from PC to MAC. I have a MBP 13" and I wanted to know if i were to upgrade the ram myself would i void the apple warranty? I'm in the Army and deploying in November so I would be doing a lot of muliti tasking since we wont have much time to as far as using the internet and making video calls. Sorry if this is a dumb question I just would like to make sure it wont void it. Thanks.

2. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

It won't. Go to town.

3. Rhei macrumors member

Just read this and had to post my purchasing experience. Went to a shop looking for the high end 15", and the sales person was telling me as we were waiting for the laptop to come out that if I were to do anything to the Mac that it would void the warranty. She expressly said anything, including changing out the hard drive, the ram, or installing software without the blessed apple logo (the last I kind of understand). After pointing out that I "read somewhere" that replacing the ram is able to be done by the user without voiding the warranty, she told me no. :rolleyes:

4. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I can say from experience that some of the sales assistants really have no idea what they are talking about. The RAM and HDD are user replaceable and there is no software you can install that would void your warranty... unless you overclock.

You can swap the RAM as often as you want, just make sure you don't damage the surrounding components in the process.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Magnuson-Moss warranty act. Shove that in their face.à

You can go to town on the RAM and HD anytime you like, you're not voiding anything unless you decide to dump a jug of water in there while you're at it.

6. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Quite true. And, in fact, Apple includes instructions in the manual that show you how to replace the RAM and hard drive. Ignore the Big Box salespeople. They generally don't know what they're talking about

Buying a MBP at Best Buy last week, I was told that I should buy their warranty because AppleCare doesn't cover "the screen, the keyboard, the hard drive and some other important things."

7. Rhei macrumors member

I'm aware of the fact that both the hard drive and ram are user replaceable. Despite it being my first purchase, I had been trolling here long enough to know she was wrong. I did find it amusing however, and just smiled and nodded at her.

8. NeKro thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, I saw the instructions on how to replace the ram in the manual and was wondering if I could do it myself. Thanks again I will upgrade the ram myself hopefully soon.:D

9. NeKro thread starter macrumors newbie

Wheres a good place to buy ram? I want to get 8gig, what brand should I get? Sorry if its a dumb question, trying to educate myself to Apple. I see apple sells 8gigs for $400 and other websites for about $80. Why is it so much at apples website?:confused:

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

11. fattire357 macrumors regular

There is no reason for it to be that expensive.

I got this one although there others that work:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YUF8ZG

The nice part about that one is that if you look up the reviews I'd say bout 1/3 got it for a 2011 MBP :D. Sometimes there are incompatibilities... so it's nice to know it works for everyone

12. NeKro, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

NeKro thread starter macrumors newbie

13. kyle1320 macrumors regular

kyle1320

I'd say go with the Crucial. If you look, OWC says:
    while Crucial says:
    No idea what that means, but it seems better to me :D Plus Crucial is cheaper.

14. -y0- macrumors 6502

-y0-

15. NeKro thread starter macrumors newbie

lol well it would be helpful to know the difference than just it seems better.

16. dusk007, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011

dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Because they never really change the price. I think the $400 price tag is quite old now. There used to be a time when 8GB kits cost quite a lot (difference between Apple and Street prices wasn't AS high) and since then prices went way down. Apple buys them cheap and sells them for 400 bucks to all those idiots that do not know how to do it themselves and still want it. There are quite a lot of those people. In the forum one thinks every sane person does it themselves but I bet in the overall sales we are a minority.
    About a year ago prices for 8GB SO-DIMM DDR3 was about 380€ now it is 52€.
    I think the 400$ upgrade price stayed the same since the introduction of the 2010 MBP models.

As for those RAM kits. It just means Curcial has newer higher density chips on their modules but that doesn't really make any difference. They might use less power but not much.
    Just get what is cheaper. They all conform to JEDEC standards and in my experience Curcial and Kingston Value Series are very compatible and as good as any.
    Latencies and Speed usually only means hardly measurable differences and trust me isn't worth 1% more money. A lot about memory is really ONLY marketing. Just read some tests and they will teach you not to waste money.