New to The Mac World, and the MB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shizzlegtx, May 13, 2008.

1. shizzlegtx macrumors member

So I was able to procure a Macbook with the following specs:

2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1gb memory
    80GB Hard Drive
    Combo Drive

For $700.00 brand new from my school. I won't get it for a week though. I know its a great deal, but I am weary. I could have got a PC Laptop, an Acer, HP or Sony for a little more or less. I am more accustomed to that market. I've used windows for most of my life, however I did have a Mac years ago a IIcx back in the day, but ended up going to PC since because of software/gaming.

I have a pretty good PC now, 2.4ghz C2D, 2gbram ,22'' LCD, and a HD3870 to run my games. So i definitely do not intend to use this MB for games, as I use the other for that.

My question is will I have compatibility issues with files from my PC to my MB?

It'll be an adjustment I think going to windows to mac I think, but maybe it'll be worth it. I hear of these so called "conversions" I wonder if I'll move to the dark side...

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Hopefully Gamers will respond shortly, but I would have taken it to the next level = MBP or at least the BlackBook 2.4 Penryn. Your RAM is pretty low, your hard drive is limited, and video will be limited as well, and I find it hard to do anything with a "combo" drive (maybe you can upgrade), "remember this is just my humble opinion." You've got a great MB, at a great price, so start enjoying it upon receipt! :cool:

3. shizzlegtx thread starter macrumors member

I don't think the ram is low, its about average in todays world I'd say. The Hard drive is small. But c'est la vie. I'll upgrade the ram eventually. As for the MB Pro, it'd be nice, but no thanks. I don't need that much power in a notebook.

Thanks for the input though!

4. GUILTIE macrumors regular

1GB of RAM is pretty low. I suggest going to at least 2GB, but you can get 4GB for like $70.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

For OS X, it's low.

6. RealaT macrumors regular

My mini used to only have 1GB of RAM and it ran Leopard perfectly fine, only reason I upgraded to 2GB was for better VMware Fusion performance

7. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

u think his hd is small look at mine 60gb 768mb of ram :p anyways the mbp is like almost a desktop i cant see myself using a 17" screen on my lap

8. notlocust macrumors newbie

I guess it depends on what sort of compatibility issues you mean - I use a PC at work (Uni) and an alu iMac at home and don't have any compatibility issues with (eg) Word, Excel etc. I'd recommend either getting hold of iWork or one of the open source office suites for you Macbook. It's pretty commonplace these days to be able to export files in Office format so you shouldn't have any probs from that perspective. As someone who did recently move from Windows to Mac OS, I can tell you it *is* worth it :)

btw $700 sounds like a *very* nice price - am envious!

9. shizzlegtx thread starter macrumors member

well damn, i guess1gb of ram is low. I had 1gb of ram for vista ultimate and it ran pretty fine, only reason i upgraded was for Crysis and Kanes Wrath.

But um, alright. If its only 70 bucks to upgrade to 4gb of ram, that is worth it.

10. asme macrumors regular

And you people rave about how Leopard is better and faster than Vista.

I use Tiger with 256mb of RAM and it's zippy as hell.

I don't know why people would ever switch to leopard, which is gimmickier than gimmicky.

11. notlocust macrumors newbie

1 gig was fine for me with Leopard - only got the extra gig for Windows gaming via Bootcamp.......

12. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

never used Vista myself, so I can't say I've 'raved' about it. I could never go back to Tiger.

If you don't know why people switch to Leopard, why are you doing it yourself?

13. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i can just upgrade tiget to leopard without like getting rid of all my apps am i right > ?

14. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If you do an upgrade, yes.

15. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

and all my apps are still there :) ?

16. notlocust macrumors newbie

they were for me :)

17. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

say if i had a disk image should i back it up

18. Wireless Buddy macrumors regular

Don't listen to these idiots. You can run Tiger OR Leopard well on 1GB RAM. Only upgrade after you try it and see if you could use it. I don't think you will.

19. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

yea lol it worked i new i could upgrade wanted to be 2828203808232028% sure none of my files would be gone which they are not but yea leopard runs on 512 does it not so im pretty sure 1gb is good the just recomend it which i say 512 is pretty good since i had 512 before i put 768mb which is pretty good but want 1gb for parallels