Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JD Grafix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2008
Hey guys~
I am new to the mac world, i am a graphic designer that currently has worked with PC for three years. Got tired of it and thought to switch to MAC. The company i work for is getting me the new MBP w/ the 30" cimema display. VERY EXCITED!!! I just had a couple fo questions, one being the font, how easy is it to convert PC font to MAC? If its not that hard what software program would you suggest?

For those with the 30" cinema display how do you like it?

Thank you all for your help on this topic in advance.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Stick with OpenType and/or TrueType fonts, both of which are cross-platform compatible

and btw....

The correct designation for :apple: computers is "Mac".......

MAC stands for "media access control"

but since you're a newbie, we forgive you.....this time :D

JD Grafix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2008
Awesome... I relooked at all my fonts and they are opentype and truetype. I have a couple of fonts that are postscript but i will try that program too see if i can convert those, next time i buy fonts i will make sure that they are OT or TT.

Thank you all, i just got approved for the mac so i am going to order it later today. Can't wait...

Any one have any problems with the 30" display?

JD Grafix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2008
Outlook 2008 for mac

Hey guys~
from a thread before, i am getting a new mac. My company uses Outlook for there e-mail. Setting up the servers and outlook accounts would be the same as on pc right? My IT said she has never used mac she is more pc. But since i thought you guys know it all i would ask you.

Thank you,

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Please just continue in your thread....

MS Office 2008 (Mac) does not have Outlook. It has a similar program called Entourage.

Entourage is also a mail / PIM program. Unlike Outlook it also has some project management / bindering features. It does connect with Exchange server, which is the backend tech that is feeding your Outlook accounts.

As for walking your IT through setting up Exchange server on a Mac, that's probably outside the realm of what's reasonable to ask for on a forum. It's well documented -- google it, or you should probably pay a consultant.

JD Grafix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2008
mkrishnan

Sorry about that... Thank you for your reply. if it can connect to an exchange server than she should have no problem. Like i said in the previous post. She has ran PC her how life. But i will google it.

Agian i apologize for creating a new post for no reason.

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
Entourage is also a mail / PIM program. Unlike Outlook it also has some project management / bindering features. It does connect with Exchange server, which is the backend tech that is feeding your Outlook accounts.

It's my understanding that the version of Entourage that ships with the Home & Student version of Office for Mac doesn't work with Exchange, but the version included in the standard edition of Office for Mac does.

Been awhile since I read about it so if someone can verify that, right or wrong, it'd be nice.

Richard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.