New to the Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by johnguillen68, Jun 23, 2010.

1. johnguillen68 macrumors newbie

Ok gang, I'm new to the Mac. I bought a iMac G4 OSX 10.5 I believe and its on Tiger OS, and it looks great, but I don't know where to start. I would like to have iMovie on it but do I have to buy the program? how do I speed up my computer so I can load PS CS4?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mac OS X 10.4.0 to Mac OS X 10.4.11 is called Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS X 10.5.0 to 10.5.8 is called Leopard.

If you have the gray restore CD/DVDs that came with the Mac, you can install iLife (including iMovie) from the second CD/DVD.
    If you don't have them, contact Apple to send you replacements for 15 to 30 (sometimes even 50 is mentioned) USD.

You can also buy iLife, but the current version may not run on that Mac.

To find out more about your Mac:

[​IMG]

Then use www.everymac.com to see more technical details and what the maximum RAM capability is.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. johnguillen68 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for you help and advice. I will check it out. thanks again.