New to the MacBooks, I have some questions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Philthy84, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Philthy84 macrumors member

I've been interested in buying a new laptop for work, school, light gaming and travel. My current computer is a Alienware M17x, which I use in my bedroom mainly as a desktop replacement for heavy gaming since I have limited space at home.

I love the Apple products I own iPhone 4 and girlfriend's iPad 2, so I've been thinking about giving a MacBook Pro a try. I haven't really used a Apple computer/OS in quite sometime but I hear nothing but good thing about them. Though it seems like there is a learning curve to them to be able to use them the way they were designed. Which I have no problem with as I plan to attend the free lessons given at my local BestBuy/Apple Store.

I have my eye on the 15" MacBook Pro with the 1GB ATi HD Radeon 6770. I would prefer the 13" MacBook Pro but the lack of secondary GPU really puts me off even though I would only play Diablo 3 on this laptop and use the Alienware for more graphic intensive games. I'd still like to be able to play it on at least medium settings. But the size seems perfect for the me on the 13" for work, school, and travel laptop. I have compared both sizes at the Apple Store and the 15" though a little bit bigger then I wanted has all the other requirements I have met or exceeds them.

Now my main question/concern is I know at the Apple Store/online you can order a MacBook and configure certain parts of it. I was planning on making my purchase at Best Buy though since I have a good amount of reward points saved up to use and they currently have the 15" with the 6770 on sale. Only thing stopping me from hopping in the car and buying one right now is I wanted to know what screen comes with the one purchased at Best Buy? I'm going to assume they only sell the "Glossy Widescreen Display" at BestBuy and you can only purchase one with the "Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display" from Apple directly at their store or online?

I'd just like some confirmation, as I'm the type of person who likes to buy any big purchase with the best possible components. I plan on replacing the RAM and HDD myself to 8GB of RAM and a SSD. Also, when does Apple typically release new MacBook models? Since we are almost to 2012 I'm hoping maybe I should just wait for the 2012 models to come out and see if they release a upgraded 13" MacBook Pro with an updated GPU or add a secondary GPU to it.

Thanks for the any help, it would be greatly appreciated and happy holidays to everyone!

2. praetorx macrumors regular

Yes, the SKUs sold in retail stores have all default configuration. I wanted to do the same thing by walking into an Apple store. They told me I could only customize it online, exception being the memory upgrade which they could have done in the store.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yes, there will be a new MBP in 2012.

Apple stores typically have a high-end model in stock, that is with the upgraded CPU (2.5 GHz) and high-res screen. Since you want to upgrade RAM/HDD yourself, that's perfect.