New to the whole beta upgrades.

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by vols, Jun 25, 2013.

1. vols macrumors regular

Hi all,

I'm currently on a iPhone 5 and interested in trying out iOS7 but wasn't sure on if the upgrade with erase all my music, iMessages, etc.

If so, how is the best way to restore everything back once on ios7? Pretty new to backing up iPhones, ex-Android user so please forgive :cool:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you're not a developer using your phone for developing and updating your apps, don't install it. Wait for the public release in a few months.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

4. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Backup your iPhone to your computer. Upgrade to iOS7 beta 2 then restore from the backup. Everything should be there.

If you run into issues, you can always revert back to iOS 6.

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

6. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Just note you cant actually install the beta unless you are registered as a developer with apple, or have your devices UDID registered under a developers account. If you try to install the beta without this, it wont work.

Regarding your topic, just make sure you backup your device before you update it, then restore the backup once the update is finished.

7. gomoq13 macrumors 6502

gomoq13

Ex-Android user. Interesting. What made you convert to the other side? Hehe. Just wondering.

8. TheGreenBastard macrumors 6502

TheGreenBastard

Funny. I'm running iOS 7 on my iPad and I'm not registered.

In case you didn't know, there is a loophole in the installation process which will result in bypassing the activation, but I will not explain how to do it because chances are OP will not have a good time and will make yet another thread asking why his iCloud backups aren't working on iOS 6...

9. madsci954 macrumors 68030

It's also not permitted to discuss that in the forum.

10. TheGreenBastard macrumors 6502

TheGreenBastard

I actually read the sticky. No worries.

11. nikicampos, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

nikicampos macrumors 6502a

In case you didn't know...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1594304

And OP, please remember to read the stickies and forum rules, especially when something fall in the category of "illegal".

12. TheGreenBastard macrumors 6502

TheGreenBastard

Ok, mr. wannabe mod, apparently you missed my post which I stated I had already read that thread.

13. LoloBond macrumors 6502

It's ok to talk about how to skip or download songs from Pandora etc but is "illegal" to talk about how to install a beta without a dev account. sorry but that's just laughable...

14. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

If there's one thing I learned from years of being active on XDA-Developers, it's that it is generally not a good idea to get newbs started on something like this unless you're willing to hold their hand for a while. ;-)

15. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I can understand that but weren't we all newbies at one time? Just paying it forward. :)

16. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Good newbies who actually want to learn how to do something do the reading necessary to figure it out for themselves, and ask for help when the documented processes go awry. XDA became a nightmare as Android became more popular with the masses and every developers thread became post after post asking what rooting meant or how to flash a ROM.

17. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i totally agree. people should try doing their own homework, like i used to do on XDA when looking into ROMS, before making a general "help me" thread. this is usually where i draw the line with newbies. i used to do ALL of my own research and learned how to do it all myself. i only posted when i got stuck. this forum contains enough threads to read to be able to answer all questions he may have about installing ios7 beta. not to mention, there are tons of hits on google. all the answers are a quick search away, but no one wants to do their own work anymore. they want all answers spoon fed.

18. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Then the nice thing to do would be to point them in the right direction. Simply telling them to do their own homework and do a Google search accomplishes nothing except to make the person feel unwelcomed. How would like it if you went to a party and the host told you to search for the drinking glasses yourself?

Just sayin. Being nice usually wins every day of the week.

19. Northernist macrumors member

For the most part I agree with what you're saying, just not with the party analogy. It's more like if you show up uninvited to a party and the host tells you to find the drinking glasses yourself..