Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
iGary said:
If the creditor wants to continue reporting the information till the end of time, they can. Now if an item remains stale for two years, you can request its removal. Doesn't mean they will, but you can request it.

Not common, but they can. After a certain time, it does not effect your score much ayway, and it costs the creditor money to report it... Anyway, point being things don't HAVE to be removed (like a late payment 10 years ago) if the creditor chooses to continue paying to report it.

Not trying to be an ass (sorry if I'm sounding like one), and sorry if I came off wrong.

no worries :)
I'm probably just being oversensitive

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
strider42 said:
And don't use debit cards. They don't help your credit rating at all, though they do have the advantage of just taking the money directly from your account, so no late fees or anything. But if you are responsible and live within your means, you should never have a problem.

Anyone else not like debit cards because they specifically come out of your savings/checking accounts. I like the CC as an extra buffer. I can dispute charges, if the card is stolen I'm not liable for a lot of $$.

That's why I always hated those debit card commercials that advertised how easy it was to use a debit card, no more annoying hold ups like showing IDs when buying stuff :eek:!!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
iGary said:
Seriously, if you can't afford something, find another way, there always is one.

Uh, if you can't afford something, you can't afford it! That means you don't get to have it! Thats how people end up in mountains of debt. Only buy stuff you can afford 100%.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Zwhaler said:
Uh, if you can't afford something, you can't afford it! That means you don't get to have it! Thats how people end up in mountains of debt. Only buy stuff you can afford 100%.

No, I am talking about if you have a surpise medical expense (you can ask the doctor to accept payments), or you are going to be late on your rent (ask to pay half now, half in two weeks - things like that, because the OP was not talking about buying a "thing," he was talking about buying his way out of a bill, which is bad news.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
iGary said:
No, I am talking about if you have a surpise medical expense (you can ask the doctor to accept payments), or you are going to be late on your rent (ask to pay half now, half in two weeks - things like that, because the OP was not talking about buying a "thing," he was talking about buying his way out of a bill, which is bad news.

Ok. Misunderstood you. Then yes, there is a way out. You just have to find it...

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
I didn't see anybody mention this, so I figured this should be said.

I always thought there was a grace period for any new purchase. However, if you have any existing balance on your credit card, even a penny, your new purchases accumulate interest IMMEDIATELY. There is NO grace period. That $50 dollar dinner just went up to 53.00 within the space of a month. And next month, it will go up again, until you pay off the existing balance prior to purchasing that dinner. If it takes you a year or two, how much did that $50 dollar dinner ultimately cost you?

It took me five years to get out of debt, and while I use credit cards monthly, I'm always careful to pay them off completely.

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
If Direct TV is still giving you the run around and not helping, deal directly with the collections agency. Pay the money. I'm not sure how to do it, but make sure you get to put your side of the story on your credit report. Then send Direct TV a very nasty note explaining why you are dropping their service. Do that AFTER the mess is all cleaned up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.