New to this world

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by snakerob62, Oct 24, 2013.

1. snakerob62, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

snakerob62 macrumors newbie

Just joined today to see if I can get some help. I am a semi-senior citizen trying to navigate my way through to a working iphone 5. My wife purchased a used phone for my birthday. I am a complete newbie getting a real crash course in all things cellular. My 5 is locked to Sprint. This does not work for me, as I would prefer a no contract plan. I still have not activated my phone because I am adamant about not getting locked into a 2 yr. contract that I can't afford. Wish I had researched the carriers a little better but did not find out until too late that the Sprint plan I thought would suit our needs does not apply to this phone. The phone is used but has a clean ESN. It is running iOS 7.0.2. I was hoping to use something like Straight Talk or Page Plus but am stuck with Sprint. What I think I need to do is unlock my phone but am getting lost in the scammer's world. Is it possible to unlock without spending a small fortune? Will that even help? I do not even have a phone number. Some adult supervision would be appreciated!

2. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

I don't think you need to need to spend money to unlock your device. You'll need to either search the forum or Google on how to unlock a device.

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Sprint is Sprint. If you want to use another carrier, your best bet is to sell it and buy another. Sprint is a CDMA carrier and the phone is locked to Sprint and cannot be unlocked for use with anything else.