New to Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Fatyank, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Fatyank macrumors newbie

Fatyank

I am fairly new to the touch and have a few questions. I have just purchased the update and am very pleased with it. I have been a Palm user for 10 years and have enjoyed it but Palm seems to be moving backwards with just repackaged Treos and no new devices. The touch update has added a lot of apps that push me farther away from the Palm OS. For those of you moaning about the $20 for updating your touch, believe me it was worth it compared to what Palm has or should I say hasn't done for the Treo. Anyhow back to my questions. 1. In Safari, how do you create a home page? 2. Are there any apps for keeping passwords? For my Treo I have Passwords Plus which allows me to keep all that info with me. If anyone knows of such an app or another way to do this I would appreciate it.

2. Nightline macrumors regular

Nightline

I don't think there is an option to create a homepage, I just looked at the settings area on mine. But what I would suggest is to use one of those new features you just purchased and create a home screen icon for your desired "homepage" then you can put it anywhere on the Touch's screen.

:apple:

3. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

He is referring to the new App called Webclips, which are in a sense, simply Bookmarks on your Touch's springboard.

4. Resist macrumors 68030

First off, the Touch is an iPod which was mainly designed for audio and vidio music. So comparing it to a Palm is hardly fair. Since you are new to the Touch, you probably didn't know the same features that we paid $20 for were given free with a new purchase of the iPod Touch. This is what those of us are complaining about. I got my Touch in December, so having to pay the $20 in January really pisses me off.

5. stockcerts macrumors 65816

The webclips feature is how I created my homepage. I really don't think the Touch is simply a music player as so many say. I bought mine on the day of Steve Jobs announcement and I bought it for its flexibility. For me it's a music player, PDA, and a way to check e-mails and do some web browsing when traveling.

You will see much negativity here from people who are upset about the $20-. It's as if Apple is asking for $100-, but it's only $20- and the new apps are more than worth it. No one has to buy the upgrade. It seems like the people who are complaining the most are the ones who keep saying, "it's just a music player". I can only imagine how much these same people must complain when they have a "real" problem in their life. I'm thankful Apple continues to improve their products, and like any business they are in business to make money. IPhone users weren't charged as Apple continues to get a cut from the monthly cell phone bills. Makes perfect sense to me.

6. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Agreed. I love my new touch and would have paid the $20 for the new apps, had I needed to, just as I paid for iWork '08 for my iMac.

7. Resist macrumors 68030

In your opinion $20 is not a lot of money for the apps. But after using the apps I don't agree. The Touch was overpriced to begin with, as most Apple products are, I can't believe I fell for buying the apps. Apple won't get me next time!

8. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

CoughJAILBREAKCoughITSFREECough

9. Renator macrumors member

New to iPod Touch

Hi,

I finally purchased the 16gig iPod Touch last week. It replaces a Palm T/X. I'm had Palms for over 20 years, beginning with the old Pilot. After several days of use, so far the only thing I've missed is having "Docs to Go". I'm a writer and carry a few documents with me. I figure that will change after the SDK release.

Two things convinced me to jump in -- the release of the increased apps and the activation of the editing function for the Calendar.

I got rid of my Palm TX on Sunday (1/20). I am happy with that decision, because for it to work seamlessly with my MacBook I needed to get Missing/Sync. That is not always the most stable.

I agree, that Palm is really both falling way behind. I am pleased with the way that the Touch works seamlessly with my iTunes, Calendar and Address Book. I've not explored the Mail function yet. I need to find out how to sync it with "Mail" in my MacBook. That is my primary mail reader.

Renator

10. Fatyank thread starter macrumors newbie

Fatyank

Thanks for the responses. There are some very passionate people when it comes to their Touch. I wasn't comparing the Touch to a Palm PDA, I was just saying that Palm has done some free firmware upgrades that were many months in the works and Apple jumps right on their updates. Palms updates still seem to be too little too late. They are always catching up and not taking the lead like they first did. As far as the apps for the new 1.1.3, they were an option to purchase, not required. If you feel the price for the Touch is too high then simply don't buy it. A new Treo without a service contract is going to set you back almost $600 and it's old news as far as technology. The Palm Centro is just a repackaged Treo. The Touch is a great device. I do believe the Touch has the potential to be a great PDA as well as a media player. Graphics, sound reproduction, ease of use etc.. are far ahead of what Palm has to offer. I played with the new apps and figured out how to do what I needed with a homepage etc.. Thanks for the advice. Work requirements dictate I use a Palm device but are changing to Windows Mobile this year so I may still be forced to have a Palm Windows Mobile device but I am moving my calendar, web browsing and of course ALL my media to the Touch.

11. jasonmac21 macrumors member

Saving passwords

Can someone speak to the question of saving passwords in safari as I'd also like to know this.

12. maxcady macrumors newbie

How about comparing it to what Apple did for the iPhone... both last year and now. And to what its doing for new touch buyers. And to what its doing for AppleTV.

Palm has been irrelevant for quite a long time. Its not like Palm constantly runs TV ads trying to pass themselves off as being cool.