New to TV purchases... What about this?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BrittQ, Apr 12, 2008.

1. BrittQ macrumors regular

I know very little about TVs. I'm looking for something around 40in that is good bang for the buck. I will be connecting my MBP to it every once in a while to watch movies and look at photos.

I was thinking about the Sony KDL-40V3000

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks!

2. gothamm macrumors 6502a

my friend is getting that television tomorrow. I am probably going to go to his house and check it out. I'll post back with the results tomorrow.

3. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

Any Sony Bravia is a great TV/Monitor. I've had a Mac mini hooked up to one for years and I love it. However, you can probably find it for cheaper at Costco.

Good luck!

4. BrittQ thread starter macrumors regular

That would be great.

Thanks I will look into Costco. Although, I am thinking about getting a refurbished one from Sony. I can get it for 1050 with a limited time special deal through my credit card rewards.

It will work good as a monitor? Like will it be clear enough to use as a main computer screen?

5. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

If you can get the Sony you linked for $1050 that is a great deal!

Mine with Mac mini looks great. I am using the GMA 950 I believe and all the video and DVD are wonderful. HD content is true HD. I have not tried to hook up my MacBook to it yet, but I am sure all the video cards better than the GMA 950 will have no problems.

Enjoy!

6. rolex54 macrumors 6502

when buying a TV its good to stick to the 3 S's
    sony, sharp, samsung

7. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

LG is quite upcoming aswell tho..becoming a major player...

8. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I've just been doing some major research on this topic, as I was looking for a quality 50 tv. During my research I stumbled upon a treasure trove of amazingly advanced 'tv geeks' at a site called "avsforums.com". I would highly recommend you visit that site on your own and do a little research yourself.

That being said, I feel obligated to tell you that virtually none of the people there recommend LCD screens at 40" or more. The plain fact is that Plasma screens (outside of simple brightness) - as a rule - produce a much better picture than LCDs do. The colors are more accurate, the blacks are more rich, there isn't as much 'lag', etc.

Pretty much the only reason you should consider LCD, based on my research, is if you are getting something under 40", or if you are buying a screen to double as a computer monitor. LCDs are less prone to IR (Image retention) than Plasmas... but that is about the only benefit.

If you truly want the best quality picture possible, get a plasma. Also, I would highly recommend getting a Panasonic, Samsung, or (if you can afford it) a Pioneer. The current Pioneer Kuros are currently the best flatscreens on the market, hands down. But they also cost about 30% more for the same machine over a Panasonic or Samsung. Personally, I got a Panasonic 2008 model, and am SOOO happy with it.

The model you would be looking at would be the TH-42PX80. You can find it for around $1000. It has a BEAUTIFUL screen!

Good luck man! It's a jungle out there... watch out for rabid acronyms while you're out and about.

9. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

10. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Also wanted to say that I had a GREAT experience with this website! If you send them a link from the web - from any store - they will match it! The difference is the service... they have AMAZING service and if you look up their rankings at any retailer rankings sites... they consistently get high marks.

Here you go:
    http://www.mountavision.com/

A great way to get 30% or so off of box-store prices.

11. BASE91 macrumors member

We purchased this TV in Sept of 07. It's a great Sony for the price today. What attracted me to it was black bezel and how it looks mounted. go to http://www.monoprice.com for mounting and cables. Prices are hard to believe but I've been ordering from them after reading about them on the avsforums!

Debating on hooking it up to a AppleTV or a Mac mini right now.

12. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

I'm moving back to Chicago from Miami in less than a week, and when I get there, I want to buy a new TV, seeing that I sold my old one before I moved to Miami a few years ago.

I'm looking at something in the 50" range. I'd like for it ideally to have 1080p with a couple of HDMI inputs. I've been looking at a few models from Samsung and Panasonic, but I wanted to see if anybody had any recommendations on sets that they have.

Any advice that anybody has would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

13. steeler macrumors regular

From what I've heard, the Samsung LCDs are made in the same factory as the Sonys, just different labels and bezels.

I have a few Samsung TVs/Monitors and love them.

14. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I just got done going through a TON of research, and I think my experience may be beneficial to you... here is what I found:

A) If you don't need to hang it on a wall or save space, get a DLP rear projection. DLPs offer amazing picture quality, even more amazing cost as compared to others, etc. The only downfall of these are the viewing angle. LCDs and Plasmas can be viewed at much more aggressive angles. Samsung offers the best price/quality combination (hands-down) in this area.

B) If you want to hang it on the wall or are short on space consider LCD and Plasma (obviously)

C) If you want Plasma, only consider Panasonic or possibly Samsung. Pioneers are the best, but cost way to much. The rest of the panels do not have the same quality. [Disclaimer: I just purchased a Panasonic TH-50px80u Plasma last month. I am VERY happy with it so far.]

D) If you want an LCD, only consider Samsung, Sony, or Sharp. Samsung gives you the best bang for the buck.

E) The difference between LCD and Plasma can be explained like this... Plasmas have better contrast and "blacker blacks"... they are generally considered to have better PQ (picture quality). LCDs are brighter, which is especially helpful if you are in a very bright room. LCDs suffer from motion blur (which I personally can't stand. Football games and such are almost unwatchable on an average LCD in my opinion.) Plasmas suffer from "burn in", or I should at least say "did" suffer from burn in. This problem has been nearly eliminated with modern plasmas.

F) Absolutely do not consider an LCD if you are looking at sizes larger than 46". The price comparisons aren't even close. Above 46" LCDs get way too expensive.

G) You might not need 1080p. At 10 feet from the screen, with a 50" tv (just as an example) the human eye can not resolve the difference between 720p and 1080p. You would have to move closer than 6' to see the full value of 1080p. Bottom line? Unless you are making a 'home theatre' and are getting a 56" or larger screen... it is very likely that you will never see the difference between 720p and 1080p. You simply won't sit close enough to ever see the difference. Here is a useful graph which explains it better than I can:
    [​IMG]

H) Consult a higher authority. Go to www.avsforum.com and find the display forum you are interested in. There is a HUGE resource of individuals here with a tremendous amount of knowledge to share. Just remember to do a little 'searching' for your answers first... they don't like re-posted questions. After all of my research, I opted for a Panasonic TH-50PX80u 50" 720p Plasma set. I've had it up and running for about a month now... and absolutely love it. Gorgeous picture, especially with the Apple TV running on it!

Hope this helps!

15. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

thanks for the quick answers! I was just looking at the Panasonic Viera (model # TH50PZ80U) and it's looking pretty sweet!

The other question I have is this...where do you guys generally order TVs from? I know a lot of people have qualms with buying things from the big box companies (Circuit City, Best Buy, etc). I've never really had a problem with them as far as service/reliability.

I'm finding this TV for about $300 less online than in the store, but the thing that worries me is getting service plans and such from some of these online retailers.

Any advice on this?

16. ksz macrumors 68000

Good choice on the 2008 Panasonic plasma. I'm waiting for the 9G Pioneer Kuro (Japanese for 'black') before making a final decision...I can wait :)

AVS Forum is a great website and I agree with the choice of plasma over LCD. Picture quality to me is paramount, and plasma has the edge.

Check the website recommended by one of the previous posters, and also consider Amazon.com. I also like to do price comparisons on sites like jellyfish.com and pricegrabber.com. Always pay attention to reseller ratings and suspect the cheapest price.

17. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

My earlier post on this topic. Good luck!

18. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Looks like they were announced today! Good choice, and good luck!

A little heavy on the $, but if you got the money, There simply isn't a better PQ out there. You'll love that machine.