new to use icloud

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by hotrod351, Mar 22, 2014.

1. hotrod351 macrumors 6502

hotrod351

so it seems that if someone steals my iphone i can remotely lock it. therefore making it useless to who ever has it, true ?

2. Adamsappel macrumors regular

That is correct!

3. hotrod351 thread starter macrumors 6502

hotrod351

and yet ebay lets people sell iphones that state = icloud locked. pretty obvious that there are stolen. after all who would buy a iphone that was icloud locked and not have the seller unlock it.

4. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

Only if the device is powered on and connected to your carrier.

If it is off or no signal, you won't be able to find it or lock it. However, in any case, no one can use your phone except for maybe using it as parts - screen, battery, etc.

5. impaler macrumors 6502

It can also be connected to WiFi - doesn't have to be a carrier. Same concept to explain how you can lock a Mac or iPod touch.

6. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

how is someone going to connect a stolen phone to wifi without their passcode? Unless WiFi is already enabled and they happen to have previously connected to an AT&T or Verizon wifi and the thief is in an area that has free wifi from a carrier.

7. hotrod351 thread starter macrumors 6502

hotrod351

guess the point is that if it turned on you can lock it. wonder if you can click lock it and when they turn it on it will then lock it. or does it have to be one at the same time you lock it. like a email, computer doesnt have to be on, but when you turn it on then you get them.

8. pmontanarella macrumors 6502

Yes, you can click "Lock" on Find my iPhone and it will lock whenever it comes online.

9. hotrod351 thread starter macrumors 6502

hotrod351

ok. thats makes sense. but thinking about icloud locked iphones, seems there has to be a way to unlock them. im sure there are a lot of idiots that buy them and think they can bypass the icloud lock, but i also know there are people that can bypass it. there are youtube videos that show how to do it. weather it works or not i dont know. i would have to have a old iphone here that id lock and see if there trick does it. the lame excuse of i forgot my password for icloud so im selling it as is is nuts, but people are buying them left and right, and not for cheap.

10. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I see PLENTY of people offering "Icloud locked unlocking services" on my local craigslist. Anybody know if they're bluffing or there really is a way to unlock these devices?

11. hotrod351 thread starter macrumors 6502

hotrod351

i think there is, but not by your average joe. check out youtube, how to unlock icloud iphone