New to Verizon...iPhone Battery DRAIN!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ApleSmaple1981, Jul 15, 2011.

1. ApleSmaple1981 macrumors member

Greetings,

I've done some searching in the forum, but have not had the luck I need.

My battery drained to almost 0 in the span of 3 hours today at work. I wasn't texting or using it at all.

It felt REALLY HOT in my pocket.

I do use a Contour case on it, but I doubt that has an effect.

I checked the background, and had no apps running.

Is it possibly that the cause is either:

1. A bad phone/battery
    2. Bad connection in the area, which causes the phone to constantly search for service, thus running hot

Thoughts/Opinions.

I have a few days before the 14 day exchange limit is up.

-AS81:apple:

2. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

If I hear you correctly, it is a brand new phone. This is normal for the first few battery cycles. Give it a couple days and it should be up too full strength. After a week if it still isn't working well then I'd try to take it to Apple.

3. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

No, that is NOT normal. Personally, I'd take it back.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

A stuck system process running at 100% could cause it to run hot and for the battery to drain quickly.

I'd try restarting the phone and seeing if it continues to act that way. If so, I'd go back to where I bought it to exchange for a different one.

5. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

I had a similar issue on my Android where I got a "new" no name battery and my phone started running really hot and would die in 5 hours. Got a legit new battery and it was fixed. Why don't you bring it to the Genius Bar? Apple customer care is way better than Verizon will be.

6. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Take it back or something. I just got a Verizon iPhone last week and with light use I can almost get 3 days out of it. Even on my heaviest use days I don't think it's gone below 50% yet.

7. Zalatorisaurus macrumors member

Zalatorisaurus

Dang. Maybe I will skip out on waiting for the 5 and just get a 4. Haha

8. kre62 macrumors 68000

+100

This is likely the reason. Just restart the phone. If it happens again, then worry.

I've had this happen a few times over the 2 years I've owned the 3GS.

9. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I don't think your light and my light are the same!

Mine isn't as bad as the OPS, but it isn't great. I will say, it IS getting better - or I'm just using it less to make it last longer!

10. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Everyones actual usage and what that entails varies. My most recent "usage feat" is in the attachment below. Certainly not a record but impressive as I was doing ALLOT of browsing with it. I'd say 6 hours of that was wifi internet and about 1 and half were 3G not to mention I was using iMovie for a bit, listening to music, etc. If your phone is on maximum brightness with 1 or 2 bars, no wifi, and pandora then don't be surprised to see your battery go in any amount of time no matter how rediculous. Its disgusting how much a bad signal with lots of data use will do to your battery...

Attached Files:

11. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

VERY true.

12. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I agree also. I get only 1 to no bars with Verizon's phone signal in my neighborhood, and our Verizon phones wouldn't last 3 hours. BTW, Verizon's customer service was awesome and let us try several phones, but it didn't help. We had to go with a carrier that gave us better phone coverage in our location. I'm not a Verizon hater... and still a VZW customer for data, but we still want to use our smartphones as a phone.

13. ApleSmaple1981 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys...I'll take it to Apple...it could be that I'll have to turn data off when I am at work..what a bummer!:mad:

14. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah I will usually have more than 4 hours of use on my 5 month old iPhone before my phone drops below 50%. Right now I have 3hrs usage and 16 hours of standby, and that's a bad day for me. Likely caused by the beta tho.