Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

therethere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
hey, i just got a netgear wgr614 and i'm trying to figure out the concept behind port forwarding on all that. so far, my setup is that the netgear is connected by ethernet to my windows machine while my powerbook is connected wirelessly. in order to torrent and port forward, do i need to setup a static IP for the powerbook? if anyone could be kind enough to walk me through the process, i would greatly appreciate it, thanks!

therethere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
i have looked at portforward but that's kinda what bought about my confusion since it seems that my router generally changes the wireless IP (by one digit) of my powerbook everytime I use it, so I don't know if I have to setup the router to only ever assign one IP to the powerbook and then make sure that the IP the powerbook has is the same as that. it seems like it would be easy to set for a hard-wired computer (like my windows machine to the router) but i don't know anything about how the wireless part works.....i don't know if anything that i just said make sense since i'm a total n00b at this....

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
I forget where exactly it is in the Netgear config, maybe LAN setup, but you can set address reservation for connected PCs so that the DHCP server always gives that machine (based on its MAC address) the same IP. and then just set port forwarding to route through to that IP for that service.

I have a feeling that wireless connections have to use DHCP and you can't just set a manual IP for them, so address reservation may be your only option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.