new tom tom gps app

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by itouchaddicted, Jun 11, 2009.

1. itouchaddicted macrumors regular

Apr 2, 2009
    Hey guys, I have 8gb 2nd gen itouch and was speculating about the new tom tom gps app which would be released soon on the app store. Whether v guys can use this app on our itouches and what all would v require- is car dock mandatory.
  2. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

May 30, 2009
    The iPod Touch doesn't have GPS... so the answer is no...
  3. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

Dec 15, 2008
    They did say that they would somehow enhance the signal of the GPS with the dock during the Keynote. I don't know what that means but it may allow it to work with a Touch. I doubt it though.
  4. powaking macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2008
    Now that developers have full access to the dock port I can't see why Tom Tom couldn't make an accessory where its a cradle with a built in GPS antenna for the iTouch. There's too many potential users out there to not tap into.
  5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

Aug 29, 2006
    Well, the car dock has a GPS chip and an antenna - so there's the possibility. Means they would get more app and dock sales! (with Apple getting a cut of both)
  6. MTI macrumors 65816

Feb 17, 2009
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Apparently the TomTom dock isn't required for the turn by turn sat nav . . . so it's likely that the "enhanced" gps is merely a larger antenna coil built into the dock, along with the FM transmitter, charger and handsfree speaker.