new tom tom gps app

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by itouchaddicted, Jun 11, 2009.

1. itouchaddicted macrumors regular

Hey guys, I have 8gb 2nd gen itouch and was speculating about the new tom tom gps app which would be released soon on the app store. Whether v guys can use this app on our itouches and what all would v require- is car dock mandatory.
    Thx

2. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

The iPod Touch doesn't have GPS... so the answer is no...

3. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

They did say that they would somehow enhance the signal of the GPS with the dock during the Keynote. I don't know what that means but it may allow it to work with a Touch. I doubt it though.

4. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

Now that developers have full access to the dock port I can't see why Tom Tom couldn't make an accessory where its a cradle with a built in GPS antenna for the iTouch. There's too many potential users out there to not tap into.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Well, the car dock has a GPS chip and an antenna - so there's the possibility. Means they would get more app and dock sales! (with Apple getting a cut of both)

6. MTI macrumors 65816

Apparently the TomTom dock isn't required for the turn by turn sat nav . . . so it's likely that the "enhanced" gps is merely a larger antenna coil built into the dock, along with the FM transmitter, charger and handsfree speaker.