New Toshiba 2.5" 1TB HDD for $70!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OrangeSVTguy, Dec 10, 2010.

1. OrangeSVTguy, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010

OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

First off: I am in no way related or affiliated with this seller but I just submitted a best offer and was surprised it was automatically accepted for $70. There is $15 for shipping so I figured I'd share this with others wanting to upgrade to a 1TB drive for a decent price since these are $120 on ebay.

This is a 12.5mm drive so I'm going to place this in the HDD slot and move my 500gb to the optical drive as I have the optibay coming and will do a RAID0 setup so I will no longer need external storage except for Time Machine backups.

Click here. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170577182638

I will post up feedback once I get it.

2. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

Pretty fantastic deal, but I'll wait for some feedback first.

Plus, I'm thinking my 500gb WD drive will hold more than enough for me.

But still, dang: that's an awesome deal.

3. ihonda macrumors 68000

hmm looks like $95 shipped to me.. or $85 shipped if he accepts $70

4. QuakeProd macrumors member

QuakeProd

Wow. Thanks for the heads up, thats a Grrreat deal!
    Some sellers try and sell a 500 or 640 for Higher than that.

Yes, please stay updated.

5. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

well and u dont have to have ur itunes music on a portable drive as it can be in the computer at all times

6. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yeah I'll be sure to post feedback once I get it. I'm hoping for a 9.5mm 1TB soon as that will replace the 500gb. 7,200rpm would definetly be sweet too but that will probably take at least another year?

I'm going to run a RAID0 and I'll be able to have all my media on one computer. Can't wait to get my optibay.

7. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

OK going with the tracking info he sent me, crossing my fingers that it will be in my mailbox tomorrow! :D

8. dime21 macrumors 6502

Huh? I don't think you understand how RAID works. You'll want two same-size drives for RAID0.

9. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I will be running a stripe RAID0, you can use any size drives as it will just be one partition. RAID1 is what you are thinking of running a mirror so they should be the same size.

10. stark4 macrumors 6502

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Man, inflation must be getting worse...that auction has ended and his new auction is $120 + 15 shipping...

12. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I wasn't home when it was delivered and of course wasn't back at the Post Office tonight after waiting in line for 20 minutes. I'll get it tomorrow after work.

???

I think you may be looking at the wrong auction. Click here as it's $85 with $15 and still has the best offer. He seemed to have sold 17 on the last auction and they all sold fast so that must really have been one hell of a deal. Wishing I had purchased more :(

13. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

That is so weird...he must have literally changed the pricing it was the actual user, the same part number and same auction. Or maybe I am just losing it.

14. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

LOL. Maybe I'm losing it?

Anyways, just got home from the PO and boy is this thing thick. I've never dealt with 12mm HDDs before. This thing is thicker than my iPhone :eek:.

Tearing apart the MBP right now :D

15. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

16. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Lol when I read this title, I was thinking "Isn't it against forum rules to post a FS thread outside of the MR Marketplace?" And then I realized you weren't selling anything. And damn, it is OrangeSVTguy. He has been here for a long time. He obviously has access to the MR Marketplace (as do I)...

Back on topic: Check for any bad sectors with TechTool Pro 5 (if you have a copy of it) and make sure the drive is good. If it isn't, I recommend just requesting an RMA and getting a new drive (from Toshiba).

17. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I can't even conceptualize what a 12mm hard drive looks like anymore...it must be a beast. Is it that thick because it has more platters (3 333gb maybe?)?

18. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yes you are correct. I did hear of a new 7mm 2.5" HDD coming out a few weeks ago? It uses a new 1 platter design with 500gb. So I guess that's the first step to the 2 platter 1TB drive in a 9mm form factor.

Anyways. I got the knock-off optibay yesterday, bummer because I had purchased another more expensive one state-side fearing that it would take months to get here via the slo-boat. It does seem to be pretty decent quality and it seems to fit pretty good without using any of the brackets to attach it to the MBP. I noticed one of the brackets is taped to the original optical drive so I guess removing the tape would kill the warranty.

I hope what I'm trying to do works out. I guess I can take pictures like someone else suggested. I'll take some later once I get everything finished. I'll let everyone know later on during the day how everything works out.

One problem I would like to note is that I can definitely hear my 500gb 7,200rpm drive in the optibay as it seems to be spinning at full speed. :( Guess I'll search for this problem later.

19. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

sorry to bring this from the dead, but any update review with this drive now that you've had it for couple of weeks?

thanks!

20. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

It's been working[1TB] out great for me, no problems. I believe it's running quiet, it's just my 500gb drive that I hear since it's now in the optibay and it doesn't appear to be spinning down? I'm not 100% which drive it is though until I take it apart again and can hear which drive it is.

21. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

awesome! thanks man! ive been debating back and forth whether to get this or the WD blue 1tb. the WD 1tb has been getting mixed reviews.