New Toshiba SSDs, just in time?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MytusVII, Jun 9, 2012.

1. MytusVII macrumors newbie

So I was planning on buying the new iMac but was hesitating whether to get an SSD with it or not, since I am too afraid to open it up and put one in myself, but got drawn back since the ones that Apple uses, the Toshiba HG3, is both too expensive and too slow by today's SSD standards. The good news is, though, that Toshiba just announced a couple of days ago the successors to the HG3, and I thought it was one of the reasons Apple was holding back this update:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5912/toshiba-announces-thnsnf-series-ssds-19nm-nand-is-here

2. kitsunestudios macrumors regular

Good to hear, but I'm not sure if that's necessarily what Apple has been waiting for. Apple has also been using Samsung drives, and the 6G 830 has been out for a while now, with excellent reviews.

It's more likely that all the new Apples will come with the Samsung 830-based SSDs for the next couple months, with Toshibas being substituted when price or supply becomes an issue.

I just hope that the new Toshiba drives are at least the equal to the Samsung 830 in performance and reliability; Apple has been treating LCD panels and SSDs from different companies as being interchangeable, like RAM and HDs, even when the performance and quality of the two are noticeably different.