New touch - battery troubles

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Beanstalker26, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Beanstalker26 macrumors newbie

I just got my ipod touch 16 GB 2G last week and have not had trouble with the battery so far. That is until today. I plugged in my ipod last night and it was done charging by about 9:00 pm, I then used it for about 30-45 minutes. I left the ipod on standby with wi-fi turned off for the night and until 6:00 pm today. When I went to use it today to play music within 2 minutes it claimed that I had only 10% of the battery left. Is this normal? Does standby drain battery life that much? I have investigated many forum threads which claim you should leave your ipod touch on standby rather than turning it off completely, so I haven't turned it off at night before. Is there a problem with my battery or is this normal? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. seamustry macrumors member

did you do the normal battery charge cycle that you're supposed to do for new batteries? You need to calibrate the charge meter....

3. Beanstalker26 thread starter macrumors newbie

If you mean letting the battery drain and fully charging it, then yes

4. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Did you leave an app open on "standby?"

Really, standby means on. The ipod turns the screen off, but you've probably noticed that apps and music still run in the background. I suggest turning off the ipod. Your battery is only guaranteed 500 cycles, and you can use them up very quickly. (Using 2 cycles a day, your battery has reached the 500 by 9 months). If you're listening to music, obviously you won;t use that much up. And it's not like the battery stops working on the 500 charge. But it probably has lost around 20% battery life, not to mention that keeping lithium batteries at 100% all the time causes the loss of another 20% every year (optimal is 40% charge, which only causes 4% loss).

5. Phish311 macrumors regular

My Story

I hope my story will inspire some of you go replace your ipod touch. I got mine and immediately felt like there was something wrong with the battery life. I bought Crash Bandicoot and after charging my battery to full, i played for about 20 minutes and got the 20% message. This happened with most of my apps...the battery just seemed very weak. After charging it to full again, i tested the battery by playing my library on shuffle and it lasted roughly 12 hours (advertised at 40). So since i was within my 2 weeks i took it in to apple and the guys were very chill about it. Gave me a new one and WOW!!!! I wanted to test the battery so i replicated what i did with the first one. Played easily 30 mins of crash and the battery was well over 50% remaining. The difference has been incredible and has made me appreciate my touch on a whole new level.

So for everyone questioning the battery life, go take it in, be friendly and enjoy your new toy.

6. seamustry macrumors member

what exactly constitutes a cycle?

thanks!

7. Pixellated macrumors 65816

100% to 0% to 100%
    OR
    60% to 0% then 0% to 40$ and back to 0

I.E. One full cycle of 100% charged and depleted

8. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Most battery problems are related to calibration or software bugs, not hardware. People shouldn't replace it right away, they should test for other possibilities first.