New Touch Screen Nook, iPad killer?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by porkchopwes1, Jul 3, 2011.

1. porkchopwes1 macrumors newbie

Hey so I've seen the arrival of Barnes & Nobles new touch screen nook, and i was thinking, "well as hard as a blow to the iPad the kindle did with hardware buttons (a nightmare I know), what will a touch screen reader do to its big brother?" I'm rooting for iPad on this one and I would love to hear what you have to say about it but remember, we are talking in the terms of e-readers here, not the actual device. Thanks for your feedback!

-porkchopwes1

2. ICutWithMacs macrumors member

I don't think the Nook is much competition for iPad. The Nook is made for reading books. The iPad, although you can read books on it, is more designed for internet and basic computing.

3. porkchopwes1 thread starter macrumors newbie

well as i said this isn't about the device but all about how it does as an e-reader

4. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

it all depends on what one wants from a device. if all i care about is an e-reader i wouldn't want an iPad. I'd get a reader with epaper and crazy battery life. However, most people don't want just an e-reader so an iPad like device is the way to go.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

So, to sum-up, already, battery life is the deal breaker here.

Sorry iPad, you just have too much overhead for a reader.

;)

6. porkchopwes1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not so sure about that because the iPad has a lot more freedom and mobility such as enlarging text on the screen without hitting a million buttons but just two taps, and the same with bookmarks and chapter markers.

7. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

A nice UI is definitely a big plus, but personally what I want from an e-reader is insane battery life, and neither the iPad or the nook color have this.

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Plus who needs to read for more than 10 hours straight?

9. porkchopwes1 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol agreed

10. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Not even in the same class. The Kindle can't even be called competitive, nor can the Nook. These are both e-readers exclusively.

Not only are these not iPad-Killers, they have nothing to do with a robust tablet platform in the first place.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It depends on which Nook. There's the simple ones, and then there's the Nook Color, which runs on Android and has its own app store on B&N. It's been sold in the millions for the past few months.

(A lot of us bought Nook Colors at $200 and installed Honeycomb -- and the Android Nook reader app on top of that. Best of both worlds. If you want a well built 7" tablet with a capacitive screen, the NC is one of the best deals around.)

Interestingly, a US survey just came out showing several interesting trends:

1) People are buying more dedicated readers than general purpose tablets. Many are buying both. Apparently it makes plenty of sense to have a large tablet at home, but carry a smaller reader with you.

2) While men prefer general purpose tablets, women prefer e-readers. They also buy three times the books/magazines that men do.

One result of the above is that some major women's magazine sales on the Nook Color have met or exceeded the sales of the same magazines on the iPad. This was an eye-opener to the publishers.

12. Sanveann macrumors 6502

Sanveann

Ditto -- and the ability to read outside. I spend a ton of time outside with my kids in the summer, and I like to have something to read with me. Love my iPad, but on a bright sunny day, I'm going to reach for the Kindle every time.

13. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

The Nook Color even with Honeycomb isn't a rival to the iPad. Mostly due to the strange video resolution supported. It is a cheap alternative to the last generation Galaxy Tab though.

The new Nook is lovely as an e-reader and in my opinion, nice than the kindles. Mainly because I don't want to see a keyboard whilst I try to read.

14. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Another "iPad killer?"

We all know how those end up.

15. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I think once the production of the new Nook e-book reader really ramps up, don't be surprised that Barnes & Noble cuts the price to circa US$120--and that's without advertising, either!

I've played with the new Nook e-book reader and really like it for its very nice e-ink display, light weight and simple design--it just needs to be a tad cheaper for me to buy one. :)