New Toy! PB 1.5GHZ

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by OnTrack Studios, Jan 20, 2009.

1. OnTrack Studios macrumors regular

OnTrack Studios

everyone told me not to do it but it's a fantastic machine. i caught on to apple right at the switch to intel so ive been doing a bit of backtracking. i got it for $420 with a retail copy of Tiger. I needed it for my iMac g4. Panther wasn't cuttin it!

PB 12" 1.5GHZ 1.25GB RAM. Running Tiger 10.4.11
    iMac G4 17" 800MHZ 768MB RAM Running Tiger 10.4.11

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

IMO that's a good buy. I'm still running my 12" BP G4 1.33 with Leopard and it's a great little machine. Until Apple bring out another 12" laptop i'm not replacing it. Enjoy your machine, it has a good few years left it it.

3. WinkWink726 macrumors regular

WinkWink726

4. OnTrack Studios thread starter macrumors regular

OnTrack Studios

Is there any difference in performance with Leopard?

I already do! lol The only problem is, my fiance keeps hogging it!

I hear that. The size was one of the main factors in my choice. The Air is cool n all but it's still wider and costs a fortune. I all still need an optical drive & the extra ports.

5. loggylunch macrumors newbie

Is that an avalon pre? I've heard great things about those, how do you like it? oh and congrats on the new machine!

6. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Congrats for the new baby and nice set up beside that !

7. OnTrack Studios thread starter macrumors regular

OnTrack Studios

It's really nice. Prior to my current setup I had a PC tower made by Cheap Guys computers, an m-audio mobilePre, and a $69 Samson condensor mic, lol. So stepping up to the avalon and everything else took some getting used to and some research to figure out what they can really do. I use it only for vocals since I do hip hop and r&b and it's definitely made a big difference. Gives it that warm sound. I don't mess with the EQ, mainly just cut out the low end and use compression.

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Nice little machine. I wish I had one of those, but iBooks are cheaper.:eek:

As far as Leopard goes, it'll run decently with maxed out RAM, but the thing really is optimized for Tiger. :)

9. OnTrack Studios thread starter macrumors regular

OnTrack Studios

I had a ibook G3 and the screen died after a few months so I have a fear of those now lol. But I imagine the G4s are fine, I considered one of those til I found this one on craigslist. Sure the guy was scary and his apartment had an interesting odor, but it was all worth it in the end.

10. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

I havent noticed much speed difference between Leopard and Tiger, I'd certainly never downgrade it, just make sure you're running the full 1.256 GB of RAM.

11. OnTrack Studios thread starter macrumors regular

OnTrack Studios

Yea it's got the full RAM. If i picked up leopard would i be able to install on more than 1 computer?

12. bizzle macrumors 6502a

13. WinkWink726 macrumors regular

WinkWink726

i soooooo wish that they made some sort of new macbook version in that exact size (the 12"), it was perfect for classes and sofa-surfing!!!
    I loved that thing!

(Now my fiance hogs it) ;) haha

14. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Not really, I'm running Leopard 10.5.6 on the exact PB 12" with 1.25GB RAM. It runs great, IMO as good as my 2.66Ghz iMac AL. Startup, App launch, everything, the only thing that is slower is Internet because its G and the my iMac is either N or Ethernet. I love mine, and great price!

15. OnTrack Studios thread starter macrumors regular

OnTrack Studios

lol ellaborate please. I'm also wanting to pick up iLife. If I get iLife '08 off of ebay, can it be installed on my iMac G4 and the Powerbook or is it only 1 license?

16. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

^^You can get a 1 license or 5 license pack. Frankly I'm running a 1 license on 2 machines. I've noticed no slowdowns or problems with Leopard on the Little Al, in fact I'd reccomend it for the latest security and apps compatibility.

17. OnTrack Studios thread starter macrumors regular

OnTrack Studios

So is the license issue kind of a "dont ask/dont tell" situation? lol. I always get beaten around the bush answers when it comes to this topic. And yea, that would be the main reason I'd switch to Leopard. Running Panther on my iMac felt so restrictive. I had to run firefox because safari was missing certain features, had to run an older version of photoshop, etc. Tiger is now becoming that way with iLife '09, Pro Tools 8.0, etc. So it looks like I'll need to make the switch soon.

18. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Pretty much all of Apple's licensing are "Don't ask/Don't Tell" situations. In the exception of the Server OS (unless you have Unlimited Licensing), you can install it on multiple computers, but the EULA states you shouldn't, not that you can't.

19. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Not a bad deal. I love my 867MHz 12". I got it last year not knowing if I'd really use it much, but now that I have it I couldn't live without it. I'd like to upgrade to the 1.5GHz model for lots of reasons. Right now I'm just waiting on the right deal to pop up.

20. OnTrack Studios thread starter macrumors regular

OnTrack Studios

Yea it's pretty sick. My Mac-book Pro seems monstrous now. It's pretty much my fiance's computer, except when she goes to work lol....so I may have to pick up another one. They seem to be between $400-$600. Mine was $495 but I got the guy down to $420. That's one advantage of craigslist. With ebay, you either get stuck with the high buy it now price or take your chances with bidding. Although I saw a 1.5ghz go for $310 at the winning bid. Bad battery but still.

21. superwoman macrumors regular

I still have one, but beware - I've maxed the ram to 1.25GB, but the G4 is beginning to show some struggle with the latest Flash contents.

22. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Every now and again they get cheap. I like the 1.5GHz one because of the 2 finger scrolling, 64Mb graphics card & faster system bus, faster RAM & higher capacity, bigger HD, superdrive, and most of all USB 2.0. You're right about the MBP feeling huge after using it. I took some pics of mine next to the 15"mbp just to show some people how much smaller it is. Very light too.

23. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

The 12" square form factor is awesome...

(I'm on my Thinkpad X31 right now...) :)

24. OnTrack Studios thread starter macrumors regular

OnTrack Studios

Yea. They need to do something about flash. I dont see how I can run pro tools, photoshop, and all this intense apps but have trouble loading a web page. That's the main issue with my iMac as well. I've read that the PowerPC processors all have trouble with displaying flash.

25. OnTrack Studios thread starter macrumors regular

OnTrack Studios

Yea, I pretty much always have my macbook pro shut and I opened it the other day and im like "good god!" lol. And yea, with vintage Macs....you always have to go for the last revision, it's not like today where they just bump the processor speed. Back then, they were practically redesigned as new technology became available. My 800mhz iMac is like night & day compared to the 20" with usb 2.0, bluetooth, etc. Something I didn't realize until post purchase.