new trackpad/keyboard on older macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mpulsive81, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

yesterday I noticed the smallest crease/crack on the wrist wrest location on my macbook and that along with the smoothed over trackpad has prompted me to replace it altogether. since the newer ones have a different F button configuration than the older Macbooks (i have a core duo) would there be any conflicts with this upgrade?

2. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

well i found out about the cracked palmrest issue so i'm gonna take it in and see if i can get it done for free.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    They replaced mine for free no questions asked. Just make sure you let them know you know it's a widespread issue. They'll be very nice about it and should replace if for free. :D

4. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

and they did just that! i just got back from the apple store today because of the same issue. Mine's 2 years, 3 months old and I didn't purchase applecare. At first they said it wasn't covered because I didn't have applecare so i said "are you sure? i've been doing some research on this and it seems that a lot of people have been having this issue and most of the apple stores have been pretty helpful about it even if it wasn't warranteed" he said "lemme go check with my manager in the back..." about 2 minutes later he came back with the whole "welllllllllll....i'll go ahead and get it taken care of, no charge. But this will be a one time deal." (not much arm twisting to it!) i got a brand new top case and it looks good as new!