new trackpad maybe next refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Acorn, May 7, 2015.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

For some reason I had thought the new 2015 macbook air had the new force touch trackpad but after a closer look it does not. I really wanted this new trackpad. What are the chances apple will upgrade the trackpad to the new force touch version and how far out do you think that would be.

2. theluggage macrumors 68030

The fact that the 13" rMBP got the new trackpad and the Air didn't kinda supports the notion that the Air is for the chop and this might be the last update.

Tried one in a shop and was impressed with how convincing the haptic feedback was. Not sure its a must-have, though.

Personally, I'd go for the 13" rMBP over the Air anyway, for the extra connectivity - although I can see why lots of people would prefer a 'retina' Air.

3. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

The retina macbook pro seems like a good choice but I dont know if I could get used to the noise. I havent heard my air spin up since the day I got it. Its been quiet as a mouse and I really like that.

4. motrek macrumors 68020

I assume the current rMBPs are about as quiet as the MBAs. They have different TDPs but they should use roughly the same amount of power unless under close-to-full load.

5. newellj macrumors 603

My 2013 rMBP was very quiet. My 2015 is basically silent.

6. patch5674 macrumors newbie

I used to have a 2011 11" Air, which sat on about 2000 rpm on fan constantly, the reason I changed was my daily workload was forcing to to regularly spin up to at least 5000 rpm.

I have replaced it with a 2015 rMBP, and it doesn't go over 2500 rpm even when streaming HD video, and my daily workload is done on 0rpm, plus the fan is quieter anyway.

The 2015 rMBP is objectively the worlds best value laptop in my eyes.

P.S Force Touch is some sort of witchcraft. Just fingers crossed that Apple can enable a feature where a force click opens a link in safari in a new tab without making it the active tab. for me force click doesn't need to be anything fancy, just the ability to assign it functions that are usually hidden in a right click menu,