New Transcend SSD Swap Over Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harleymhs, May 1, 2014.

1. harleymhs macrumors 6502

Hey Guys, I just ordered the new Transcend Jet Drive SSD kit for my Macbook Pro Retina.. I currently have boot camp with Win 7 installed on my OEM hard drive.. I was wondering when I clone the OEM SSD to the new SSD will it take my Boot camp partition and win 7 as well? Is there something I will have to do different in order to get my boot camp copied to the NEW SSD? Thanks!!

2. MacTCE macrumors 6502

What program are you planing to use? Whenever I clone my Mac I always use CarbonCopyCloner and Winclone. That will take care of both partitions so you have an exact copy.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The Transcend directions have you using Disk Utility. I was under the impression Disk Utility would only do the HFS+ partition but I'm not entirely sure on this.

4. harleymhs thread starter macrumors 6502

In the video Transcend shows to copy over the OEM drive they just use DISK UTILITIE to clone it.. they didnt use CCC Winclone.. I do own a registered copy of Super Duper Would that work?

5. MacTCE macrumors 6502

I don't have any experience using Super Duper so I'm not sure if that will clone your Bootcamp installation as well.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

SuperDuper is similar to CCC and will only clone the OSX partition.

7. harleymhs thread starter macrumors 6502

So Super Duper will only take the OSX partition and NOT the Boot Camp ? CCC will take BOTH? Thanks!

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No... SD and CCC or Disk Util all only clone over OS X and NOT Windows. You will need to use Winclone to copy Windows over.

9. harleymhs thread starter macrumors 6502

Got it! Thank you....