New truck. Former U.S. Customs. WTF is this?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MrCheeto, Oct 25, 2010.

1. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I picked up a truck from an auction. It's an F250 V8 twin-turbo Diesel that was used as a people-hauler. It looked like this about two-months ago.

[​IMG]

So it had a few mods done to it. Suspension, fuel tank, interior and some moarz. I haven't had an issue with it at all, but what in the hell is this thing?

[​IMG]

It's found just behind the front bumper. It connects to this cable, which then goes up into the engine compartment.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking that because it's a diesel, border patrol may have used it to charge the batteries to keep them topped off or to jump them in-series.

2. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

That looks like the plug for the Block heater. Diesel fuel will sludge in colder climates so a heater is necessary to prevent this.

3. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Ahah, makes sense. I remember when I was working in Colorado the construction companies had their trucks plugged in over night to keep such things from being problematic.

Any way to know for sure? This is a mad bonus for me since the weather in the desert is extremely harsh at night.

4. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Bring your truck to Canada this winter. Try to start it without, then plug it in for two hours and try again ;)

I don't really think it could be useful in the desert... unless it goes under -20°C, it's pretty useless.

5. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

6. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Definitely looks like an engine block heater.

7. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

If it was just Gasoline you would be right but it being a Deisel it will make a huge difference trying to start it in the Winter.

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

Either, next time you are in for routine servicing ask the mechanic working on the vehicle (not the desk personnel who will need to charge for the time) what it is. Will take them 3 minutes to point out to you where the wiring goes....

Or, if you do your own routine servicing some Friday afternoon, drop by a small garage with a case of beer and ask the mechanic there. No one wants to write up a invoice (that triggers income tax) for a 5 minute look-see, and you probably don't to pay the minimum time at $50 or $75/hr for the same 5 minute look-see.

Any good mechanic should be able to trace the wiring in just a few minutes. There are only 2 or 3 things it could be.

9. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I'm glad t3h Mac[/] forums is good für just about anything. Yeh I'm rather sure that's what it is. I can imagine the B.P. Having these lined up on a power strip at night when off duty.

Tanks, folky polks.