New 'Try the Watch' app

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AJsAWiz, Mar 24, 2015.

1. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Attaching a small, printable target to the wrist and then loading up the app will allow users to visualize different Apple Watch models. Tapping on the screen will cycle through different watch case and band color combinations.
    Unfortunately, the app is not available in the App Store. To install it, curious users will need to visit Underside's website and download it directly, and then authorize the unapproved app to run on their device.

Has anyone tried this yet? If so, how did it work out for you.
    I'm a bit apprehensive since this is not an authorized app.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...d-reality-to-visualize-wearing-an-apple-watch

You can get the app and the cut out you need here:
    https://secure.underside.be/ar_watch/index.html

2. jaymc macrumors regular

jaymc

3. AJsAWiz thread starter macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I did it!

Okay, although I was a bit nervous, I tried it. It IS pretty cool :cool:

4. kaess, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015

kaess macrumors member

The app works surprisingly well. It gives me the best sense yet of what the Apple Watch will actually look like on my wrist, especially in terms of thickness.

However, I wish there were different cutouts to make the rendering to scale with both the 42mm and 38mm sizes. If it is to scale with either one of them, I would assume it's the 42mm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. AJsAWiz thread starter macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I agree. It would be nice if there were cut outs for both sizes.

6. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

It's now even harder to decide between the white and black band after using this app...

But it's great to see how they look on my wrist. Ultimately I think I'm gonna go with the space grey one.

7. technosix macrumors 6502a

While personally I'm not interested, it is a very good way to appeal to the gadget lovers. It's a bit like a make believe toy for adults that like those kinds of things.

It's a smart idea since I do believe the Watch will not be as popular as Apple and it's lovers want to believe. There's thousands of men and women in the company I am with, it's nearly a 50/50 mix of men and women. My building houses four hundred employees.

When I ask the ladies what they think of Apple Watch almost everyone has said they didn't know about it. That's very revealing. So I started carrying a picture of Apple Watch. I was taken aback that not one found it interesting.

I'm wondering who Apple talked to or polled to gauge interest in their new gadget.

8. matthijst macrumors regular

9. AJsAWiz thread starter macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Don't know but it, most likely, was a larger pool than the one you encountered. I would imagine that Apple goes through the same process used by many businesses.

10. jaymc macrumors regular

jaymc

How'd you get the white band photo ... mine only comes up in black.

11. technosix macrumors 6502a

I most certainly agree, Apple is the sales and marketing masters. Had I not polled so many people, simply because it was easy, I would not be so surprised with the results.

One thing's for certain, I find this one of the most interesting product launches in a long time.

12. kaess macrumors member

You simply tap the watch and it changes band color. You can toggle through all of the sport band combinations.

13. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

This is so cool :D. Not just because its the Apple Watch, just the novelty of AR just impresses me so much. I might get a 42mm now after seeing this. I'm not sure. I hope they add the 38mm in the future.

14. jaymc macrumors regular

jaymc

Oh. thanks! :D

15. jbizzybeetle macrumors regular

I can't figure how it works. Takes photo wrist. One time it asked if could access photos then did nothing. Next time the app comes up with the cut and paste/QR code but no indication what to do next.
    What am I missing?

16. jbizzybeetle macrumors regular

Edit: OK got it right. Cool. Both sizes available for sport with all sport bands. Love to stainless steel with milanese! #

17. ByteTheBooty macrumors regular

omg this is soooooo cool!!!!

but this made me so much more confused on which size to bu..what do you guys think?

Attached Files:

18. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

Have to admit this is pretty cool. Really torn between the sizes now though..

19. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Now that is ****ing kick ass!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

And I still want the 42mm

20. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

Hmm. This has made things tougher. I was sold on 38mm, and now I am wondering if I can go 42...

21. ap105, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015

ap105 macrumors regular

I can get it to work BUT how do you switch between 38 and 42?

Edit: never mind looks like I had the old app installed. Just downloaded the new app and gives option of the 38 and 42.

22. dearfriendx macrumors 6502

dearfriendx

Tricked two of my friends lol

Attached Files:

23. Che Castro macrumors 603

Get the 38

24. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

The app can no longer be downloaded :(. Didn't get a chance to try it out!

25. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Hmmm so you walk around with a picture of an apple watch and grill your co-workers about it.... just wondering how many restraining orders do you currently have out against you? Just seems really odd.... sure in casual talk you may bring it up but then to whip out a pic if they haven't seen it?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLPZmPaHme0

I too missed this boat.... I did tweet Timmy so I expect to hear back from him any minute.