Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hollyhillbilly

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
I have had a 50" panasonic plasma since 2005. It still has a gorgeous picture.
It beats many of my friends brand new lcd or led pictures.

If you want a "go to" place for technology reviews, check out the wire cutter.

http://thewirecutter.com/

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I have had a 50" panasonic plasma since 2005. It still has a gorgeous picture.
It beats many of my friends brand new lcd or led pictures.

If you want a "go to" place for technology reviews, check out the wire cutter.

http://thewirecutter.com/

That absolutely mirrors my experience too. Plasma doesn't get pretty warm and they do suck up some power, but man the picture quality is great. Like you've I have family and friends that have bought into the marketing hype of LED and LCD, yet when they come to my home they always tell me why doesn't my TV ever look as good as yours. Plasma BABY! I wouldn't buy anything BUT a Plasma.

Also to the guy that said Plasma's will be obsolete, NONSENSE we've been hearing that for 5 or 6 years, yet they still sell very well. Unfortunately many shopper buy into the marketing BS and get LED and LCD.

My model of Panasonic by the way has the anti glare coating which dramatically helps with the glair over other models I checked out when buying.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
watch King Kong bluray.

when they go into Kong's cave, the cave is pitch dak (black)

on a plasma its a true black....the gas shuts off and no color is emitted.

on an lcd/led, its a dark grey/almost black. there is a light behind the screen......how black can the black be with a light behind it? :cool:

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I will be playing video games, namely FIFA.
I will watch sports with the bar at the top showing the timer + logo.
I will use xbmc which does have static backgrounds and bars for movies. I will use this the most.
I can control light to an extent but glare really pisses me off.
I watch 4:3 sometimes and then I watch movies with the black bars below. I hate cropping.
I watch anime with subs all the time.
From Poofy's suggestions, I will 99% of the time now not be using this as a PC monitor! You were right mate, 42'' screen or whatever is silly for browsing.
Weight is not a deciding factor but I will move this TV atleast 4x year.

My budget is £600-1000. I can give stretch if it means I get a better product. I'm prepared to wait a few months if that helps etc. I do want at minimum I think a 40''-42'' screen, I've never had a screen that big.

My biggest problem with plasma after reading 130 page image retention threads is I cannot be bothered buying a tv and then having to baby it. My current LCD I've kept on with the same desktop image for 2 days straight. I will leave it on pause for 30 minutes, get something to eat or cook and come back. I will have extensive 10 hour FIFA tournaments with friends. I appreciate the deeper blacks of a plasma and the better viewing angles. I was in love with the idea of getting one but after reading around.. Is it just not for me given my circumstances and the fact I 'abuse' my devices? I cannot promise switching off the TV and avoiding static images all the time. I cannot promise not having a 5 hour play through of a video game which does have static images. I hear lots of people saying they live with the image retention, its worth it for the image, or they will pop in a DVD and Movie and swap around the content they watch but I don't have that much time! I just want to bang it, watch or play what I want then get back to work/revision/working out.

Can some of the led brigade point me in the right direction for a quality led for gaming and watching films with good blacks, low motion blur etc? Is there a flaw in my thought process here somewhere?

I had a Plasma set a few years ago, and I wouldn't have another. I had it for a week and I got a screen burn off of a game I'd been playing. I got my set replaced with a LCD after that.

Since then I've always had LCD. I currently have a LED/LCD Sony Bravia and its the best TV I've had in my opinion. Plasma's eat electricity compared to LED/LCD. I use my Sony Bravia for gaming, films and it works flawlessly, no blurring on whatever I'm watching. LCD screens have come along way and I've yet to see a quality LCD/LED set exhibit motion blur nowadays.

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I had a Plasma set a few years ago, and I wouldn't have another. I had it for a week and I got a screen burn off of a game I'd been playing. I got my set replaced with a LCD after that.

Since then I've always had LCD. I currently have a LED/LCD Sony Bravia and its the best TV I've had in my opinion. Plasma's eat electricity compared to LED/LCD. I use my Sony Bravia for gaming, films and it works flawlessly, no blurring on whatever I'm watching. LCD screens have come along way and I've yet to see a quality LCD/LED set exhibit motion blur nowadays.

The fact remains, however, that even the best LCD/LED sets can't compare to plasma. It's just the technology.

Burn-in is a non-issue nowadays.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I love it when people use the Plasmas eat electricity" line to justify led or LCD. My plasma uses $20 a YEAR more in electricity compared to the same sized LCD or led. Has a better picture and cost between $500 to $1000 less than a comparable LCD.

Please the heat and power issue is a non issue on modern plasma tvs.

Last edited:

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Better picture is subjective, some people may see a certain TV, screen type better than the next person.

In fairness, the various screen technologies have pro's and con's over the other types, just like anything else.

To the OP. You will get people on forums saying one thing is better than another, which can make your decision harder. I would suggest going to a TV store and take some of your movies with you and see which YOU see to be the better TV for your uses etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.